neutered male attepting to mate!

Home Community Rabbits neutered male attepting to mate!

This topic contains 5 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Karen 20 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Karen

Mounting in animals is not always sexual – a mating behavior. Females may mount females and other males, altered animals may mount. It can be a dominance behavior. It an also mean affection. I am not familiar with the lionheaded lop. There are only five recognized breeds of lop in the ARBA: French English Mini Holland American Fuzzy (the size of a Holland) I would monitor them very carefully as the mounting can could turn to a fight -especially if it is being done out of dominance and the other rabbit is not appreciative. Also if one is much larger than the other, injury could happen.

jasperrabbit

i have just acquired a female dwarf lop, 11 weeks old. we also have 2 year old male lionhead lop, who was neutered at 6 months. When the male met the new female his first action was to ‘mate’ with her. as he is a lot larger than she is it looks quite alarming. i also thought that a neutered rabbit would not do this. Has anyone got any suggestions/explanations/advice, as i would really like them to live together but don’t want to subject her to that attention constantly. thanks

Karen

I was wondering if it was a breed not recognized in the US after I started checking more last night… But sadly, there is a huge thing in the US called Designer Mutts and I was praying it did not start going to rabbits as well! That was my first fear!

jasperrabbit

thanks for the reply. i am in England, so maybe the liohead isn’t so common in USA. here is a link with a lionhead picture, although mine doesn’t look a bit like this one….. http://www.geocities.com/lionheadrabbits/ bonding attmpts last night ended up with the same result, i think we will be taking it slooooow. cheers

jasperrabbit

hi karen, i assume a ‘designer mutt’ is a dog that fashionable people have because it makes them look better. sad for the dog and the owner. i would imgine that if Madonna or Britney were seen with a bunny, then maybe they would be the next ‘must-have’ fashion accessory…. :'( I’m not too sure that my lionhead would be a designer, my wife thinks he’s a bit of a cross breed! Perhaps his dad was an english lop that was a little bit faster than the lionhead in the same hutch…!! ;D

Karen

Yup… Designer mutts are most often crossbred dogs that are sold as if they were purebreeding – the breeders give funky names like Dalimer – (Dalmatian/Weimeraner cross – been advertised locally) and then all the dogs crossed with Poodle and sold as if they were pure. There is even a registry now that caters to people wishing to be unethical breeders and cross anything and call it a new breed. They have no idea what it takes to create a new breed. I have seen it a bit in rabbits but nothing to the extent of with dogs… I actually got to meet and see the work that Louise Walsh had done with rabbits to create the Giant Angora here in the US. Talk about WORK! It will be interesting to see if the Lionhead makes a showing here in the US. I used to breed English Angoras and American Fuzzy Lops for wool and show…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.