my rabbit behaviour is changing!

Home Community Rabbits my rabbit behaviour is changing!

This topic contains 1 reply, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Karen 20 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

jess1987

my rabbit is about a year old and i bred her when the babies reached 6 and a half week we took them away we have bred her before and was fine after the babies had gone but when we give her hay and straw every day she gathers it as if she is going to make a nest and she is always digging a small whole also like a nest she seems to be acting as if she is pregnant but there is no way this is possible. is this a sign that she wants to be pregnant again?

Karen

Ideally babies should stay with mom for longer – even a few days at this age makes a difference. My preferene was always eight weeks – I noticed even at 6 I woudl still sometimes have a kit not fully weaned. Also some states have laws stating at what ages animals can be sold – many are 7 – 8 weeks. Does she want to be bred again – no. Rabbits do not think like this – as humans do "Gee, I’d like another baby." Instinct tells them to breed if it is time – not desires. Do not fall into this trap if thinking your rabbits wants to be a mother. Animals can live very full and even healthier lives if never bred. Not to mention there are so many bunnies being produced as is. They are actually the third most popular animal to be surrendered to a shelter. Your rabbit could honestly care less if she has a litter or not. She is responding to hormones and instinct – not heartfelt desire. But if her hormones are telling her she is pregnant (see the next paragraph) she will act as though she is and even could start lactating and this can lead to mastitis. She could be going through a false pregnancy (she thinks she is but may not be) OR she may have been bred while still nursing the other litter – it can happen. If there is a male next to her with only wire (especially if the wire is 1×2 spacing) there is a chance she could have been bred again. I have known breeders to have had males breed through the wire separating them from a female next door. I would personally consider spaying her (unless she is an active show rabbit) and enjoying her as a pet. Better for her and less worry for you!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.