Docking, How could you! :(

Home Community Dog Breeding & Breeds Docking, How could you! :(

This topic contains 43 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  sharla 14 years ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author

Mikka

before i got both my boxers the had their tails docked and i can touch their tails and there is no pain but i do agree with you about docking their ears, both my boxers are AKC, and i dont want to show them but if their ears would have been docked i would not have bought them, i just dont like that look.

casey

Everyone likes different things, I like my boxers to look the way they the standard states . I have no problem with people who like the floppy ear. I have had a litter of boxer puppies tails done. I was there when they did it and yes they let out a big cry and then that was the end of it. I also had my son circumcised and he will not remember it nor will the puppies. I also had my adult dogs ears cropped when they were 12 wks old. They have the medium cut which does not require taping , they pretty much stood on their own. It might be a little sensitve for a few days but I have also had a Rhodesian Ridgeback with floppy ears that broke blood vessels in her ear by hitting one on a door frame. IT filled up with blood and was gross she had to have surgery where it was sliced open and the blood vessels sealed off then sewn together and bandaged to her head for a couple of weeks and she still had to go back to have it drained with a needle until it finally healed . The vet said it was very common in dogs with floppy ears that were energetic. I vowed to myself I would never have a dog with floppy ears again. Getting my boxers ears cropped caused them much less pain than what my other dog had to go though ,so it is the lesser of 2 evils to me.

reachel

And what about all the non working dogs that get chopped up??? The majority of docking aren’t on working dogs.
    Also did you know a dog without its tail does not have the same balance. The tail is used as a rudder when the dog is moving at speed it allows the animal to take turns and change direction much fast and saver.
    Ive heard it all before and it always sounds like clutching at straws and a lame excuse, just for fashion

reachel

When I began veterinary nurse I witnessed this once. The puppy was in terrible pain all the way through and believe me, it wasn’t quick!
    Take a look at the link…

reachel

And another….

reachel

Take a look at the link….

reachel

That’s just as cruel in my eyes. Unless its for medical reasons..

reachel

And I think your very disrespectful. I dont recall trying to insult your intelligent. It IS Illegal in my country.
    At the veterinary century where I work, an owner was reported and her kennels where shut down!.

reachel

You need to get your facts straight
    Read…

reachel

Clear enough for you? Now a "sorry, my mistake" would be nice. haha!

reachel

Excellent comment ddmom. So true! CanonicaBullz obviously needs to move into the 21st century. If anything for the sake of her breeding business. Many people would think twice about buying a puppy from a breeder who allows this mutilation. In england they would get a jail sentence.

reachel

I can’t believe people have made comments on this blog saying its not illegal in england to dock tails! Doesn’t anyone do research before assuming I’m wrong, when infact I am very right. I should know the laws in my own country thank you. Especially in my job.
    It’s illegal in most of europe now. GOOGLE IT PLEASE before commenting "DOG DOCKING ILLEGAL IN ENGLAND AND SCOTLAND" It’s not hard to do!
    Look and the link *rolls eyes*

Jacey

I just thought I would let you know as many people don’t The docking of the tail in dobermans is done because they have been bred to have sleek stream-lined bodies. This has resulted in their tails being much smaller around, and, therefore, increases the risk of them breaking their tails. The tail is docked because if an adult dobie breaks their tail is is excruciatingly painful, and it will result in a painful amputation. Sometimes these amputaions and breakages can lead to paralysis, as the tail is part of the spine.
    As for the ears, I will ask you one simple question. Do ANY wild dogs have FLOPPY ears? The answer is no. People have bred dogs to have floppy ears because they had one dog that had DEFORMED ears and decided that it was attractive, so they decided to breed these dogs with cartilage DEFORMITIES to make this a common trait. The reasons why so many dogs ears are cropped is because people have realized this was a mistake because long floppy ears cause serious infections because undesireable things such as; dirt, foxtail weeds, insects, etc. can get trapped inside of the ear canal forcing them to go downward toward their eardrum and eventually towards their brain. Many long floppy eared dogs die, EVERY DAY, from fatal brain infections caused by thing getting trapped inside their ears. I believe is is way more cruel for your dog to die a slow and painful death by infection than to cause a few hours of discomfort. People caused this deformity to become so common, THAT is cruel.

sharla

some dogs are born with natural bobbed tails…does that make them in pain? dogs tails can be any length. Just so ya know.

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.