Docking, How could you! :(

Home Community Dog Breeding & Breeds Docking, How could you! :(

This topic contains 43 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  sharla 14 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author

reachel

I have just been looking through this site in depth and was shocked to find a recommended breeder advertising his so call perfect miniature pinchers. With their sensitive ears hacked off. Why would Pet Peoples Place allow this?
    I know many of the members on this site are from the states. Is it still legal in the USA? and if so, WHY!
    I am English and ear or tail docking is illegal here. I have seen Doberman, boxer’s and other breeds from the USA on TV and in books with this barbaric ‘ear hacked off’ look. But I had no idea it was still going on there. WHY!
    Ear cropping is a painful, disfiguring process for dogs, it is a senseless surgery. Ear cropping and tail docking in dogs for cosmetic reasons are neither medically indicated nor of benefit to the patient. These procedures are accompanied by inherent risks of anesthesia, blood loss, and infection. Ear cropping is a cruel process that has to be stopped! It is ridiculous to perform medically unnecessary ear cropping procedures that simply perpetuate the image that dogs are fashion accessories.
    Many dogs have gone absolutely head crazy and developed lifelong seizures, or an instant awareness to touches after ear cropping.
    In the forced 21st century, ear cropping of dogs is no longer necessary and is at the present a matter of human ego status seeking. If ears are too large, too heavy, too inadequately placed on a head, it should not suffice to be able to just crop ears half off and then state, "Now we have a show dog. Oh, how exclusive!"

Holly

My boxer had her tail docked when she was a few days old – my family hadn’t got her by then. Apparently, it doesn’t cause pain and I can certainly imagine what it would be like if she hadn’t had her tail docked – she’s always wagging it (and the rest of her body) and she’d probably break a few lamps!

Ariel

It is still legal in the USA b/c it does not cause them any pain. When they are a few days old they are pasically num all over so they don’t feel a thing when you dock their tails & they are under an anesthetic when you get their ears cliped.

Daniellle

em excuse me but you’re lying when you say dogs don’t feel pain how would you know anyway and btw if yu docked ur dogs tail after april in 2007 then you cant enter ur dog in crufts or an other shows in the UK and if any1 out there is thinking about docking a dogs tail just for prettyness please don’t do it bcos no1 really knows what it cos’s in terms of pain and also if dogs were not supposed to have tails they wouldn’t b born with any think about it !!!!!!!! and also it should be made illegal because for everyone who gets there dogs tail removed by a vet there are dozens of people who use a small elastic band, ouch! but fair enough if you buy a dog that has already bought the dog and yu didn’t mean for it to be docked anywhere

Kurt

To avoid tail damage.

A number of working gundog breeds have to hunt game through heavy vegetation and thick brambles, where their fast tail action can easily lead to torn and bleeding tails which are painful and extremely difficult to treat. Docking the end of the tail eliminates the risk of injury.

Working terriers are docked for the same reason. In addition, terriers which are bred to hunt below ground for purposes such as fox control, have their tails docked to a length which is more practical when working in a confined space.

Since docking was banned in Sweden in 1989, there has been a massive increase in tail injuries amongst previously docked breeds. Within the 50 undocked Pointer litters registered in that year with the Swedish Kennel Club, 38% of dogs suffered tail injury before they were 18 months old and in 1991, the number of individuals with tail injures had increased to 51% of the group.

Holly

I didn’t say they couldn’t feel pain, I said apparently it doesn’t hurt them..

Jordaen

I don’t think docking is really that bad!

My boxer had her tail docked and she always seems fine with it.

Yes it it legal in the U.S.

Mikki

Regarding tail docking….yes, they do feel it, yes, it appears that it hurts them. They scream like crazy even at a few days old….but only for a few seconds. That being said, I don’t imagine it’s much worse than circumcision, so if you aren’t against that, you shouldn’t be against tail docking. Now, ear cropping is a different story. Most breeds do not have their ears cropped until they are a few months old. Min pins and schnauzers are the exception where I am from. A lot of them are cropped before they leave the breeders at 8+ wks of age. The vet I work for used to do ear crops, but has decided it’s not worth it. It’s horrible to watch the pups wake up screaming and shaking their heads, blood flying everywhere. Then the aftercare is a lot of work for the owners, and most don’t do it as they are instructed to. I agree that it is uneccesary and cruel, watch one for yourself. You’d be amazed how much of the ear is cut off, more than you think……The don’t teach ear cropping at the vet schools in the US anymore. I think it will be phazed out within the next decade.

Daniellle

In the dogs defence circumcision is alot different to tail docking as humans have a voice whether they want it done or not but the dog has to do it whether it wants to or not

Kurt

Who gets the choice ? Parents circumsice babies baby has no voice, Owners dock the pups tail..

Marjorie

Years ago I had a litter of Cockers and had their tails docked and they were still wimpering when I brought them home. They were less than a week old. No more for me. My Min. Schnauzer has her beautiful ears, when my vet asked what I planned about the ear docking and I said no. He said "good for you". Even they hate to do it.

garima

wait a minute.. why would you clip part of the ear?

Mikki

Marge – does your schnauzer also have a long tail??? Bet not….

Mikki

Watch this

garima

i must be slow i don’t get it…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.