Thunder Question

Home Community People & Their Pets Thunder Question

This topic contains 10 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Lucy 16 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Anna

Ok I just bought the storm defender coat for my 9 yr old shih tzu and we had our first thunder storm last night and it didn’t even phase him, I never used the coat . Now i’m talking about a shih tzu who will pant and panic he’ll hide in weird spots we’ve even had to sedate him in the past, how does he just not care about this anymore?? He gets worried if he hears thunder on tv and now he just doesn’t care?? I’m all confused does anyone know anything about this??

Natalie

so you bought the coat, and then he seemed okay with thunder?

Anna

Yeah he just stopped being weird, he even went outside to pee.

Sue

you bought the coat & didn’t put it on him & he was ok?

Anna

Perfectly fine, didn’t care at all.

Sue

I’ll bet the guy that invented it would love that story! lol

Anna

I should e-mail them and tell them that just having the coat nearby was good enough for my dog, LOL

Natalie

well…it doesn’t sound bad…whats that bad part?

Melanie

I think this is absolutely hilarious and am seriously considering getting one. I have two that are awful during storms. One just pure panics, pants, can’t sit still. Sometimes I wish she would go and hide. I work at home and it is impossible to work when she’s like this. I have found a way to cheat though. I stick her inside my shirt and she holds her had out the collar. She stil panics but knows she is close and I have my hands free to work. She is also deathly afraid of guns and fire crackers. Several of her siblings are like this too. Thier owners are my friends and come to me all the time with this complaint. By golly I have an answer now. What does it appear to be made of? I’m wondering if it has something to do with the static in the air during storms, and this stops that.

Anna

The website said it takes the static electricity out of their fur and after 3 times they will learn that the wind and rain are nothing to worry about. Plus you can get their name put on it and when they do wear it they look like little superheros. I just googled storm defender cape.

Lucy

It’s possible that your reactions were actually affecting him a lot more than you knew, especially if you were petting him and trying to calm him down. Once you got the coat and believed it would help him stay calm, he actually responded to your body’s chemical changes–since you were no longer afraid (in your mind, concerned about his reactions), he didn’t need to be afraid, either. It’s also possible that there wasn’t as much ozone in the air during your recent storm. You may still need to use the coat, especially if you get a real thunder boomer right overhead–the kind that makes the whole house shake.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.