Brighten Farms

Home Community Small Pets Brighten Farms

This topic contains 60 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Rachel 11 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)
  • Author

Kim

Has anyone ever ordered an animal from this place? I am considering getting a richardson ground squirrel, and I want to know what the animals and service are like.

Jennifer

Don’t Do it. I bought a squirrel from her in nov. of 2006, it died of pnemonia two days later. We asked for a replacement and she said she would when the next litter was available. Mysteriously, the litter ALL died. We had to file with the BBB and call a lawyer before she would even return our phone calls. The first property was deploarable. Save yourself the hassle. Go to a real breeder.

Kathie

I ordered 2 flyers from her last yr & they were fat & happy! Her contract states you MUST take them to a vet w/in 48 hrs of receiving them or health guarantee becomes void. My vet said they were perfect! She`s hard to deal w/ as far as returning phone calls,etc–but pretty babies! Good Luck!!

Rebecca

NEVER, NEVER, EVER buy an animal from Melonie Buchanan. She has just shut down her "Brighten Farms" website. She used to go by Ratkateers Rodentry; who knows what she’ll pop up as next. Ever since she scammed my kids out of $505 months ago, I have found several people who either paid and never received animals, never received refunds or received sick animals.
    If you go to online to Ripoff Report, you can see my full story, with dates and details. She is very smooth–often very communicative UNTIL she gets your money. Then, getting service or a reply to your questions is next to impossible. And, when you DO hear from her, it’s usually an untruth or does not address the question/problem you’d like dealt with.
    We ordered our squirrel April 17, 2008. It’s now August. She said on the 6th that she’d ship one out to us on the 13th, but never sent us a confirmation from Continental and won’t return emails. She has done this perhaps 3 times over the last few months.
    IF YOU WANT TO RECEIVE YOUR ANIMAL, DO NOT BUY FROM THIS PERSON. My opinion is based on my unhappy experience and that of others I have now heard about, have communicated with. I only wish I’d have known before I placed my order. 🙁 Please check out Ripoff Report and search "Melonie Buchanan" before you buy.

Kathie

Brighten Farms —Melonie Buchanon—–I posted a reply previously stating that I had a pleasant experience purchasing my flyers from her. That was then – this is NOW! She took my money , & its as if she has disappeared!!!!I ordered more flyers ( for my grandaughter) & haven`t heard a return reply since around June. So those of you that have experienced this—–any recourse? Shall we "unite"???? Kit Kat 1

talon

Hello, I am the same person as talon29 but due to changing email adresses and forgetting my password i had to register again. So thankyou for the replies but they came too late 🙁 I had already ordered the richardsons ground squirrel. Melonie promptly returned my first few emails. But after I gave her my money she was nearly impossible to contact. So the first time she said she was going to ship the rgs, we came home from vacation early, but she never shipped it and we tried desperatly to contact her and finally she said all the rgs had escaped. so i asked for my money back but she wouldnt respond. finally the next year she said she was going to ship me another. 6 times i had to get off work because she said she was going to ship it. And we had to cancell another vacation. So finally on the seventh time she actually shipped it. BUt instead of getting one baby male squirrel. She gave me 2 a male and a adult female. And the didnt even come from her they came from Texas. Which is probably why they were healthy. but she could have told my that (i found out at the airport).And they advertise follow up after the sale but she never even checked to see if i picked them up. So yeah i think Melonie buchanan and Brighten farms should be put out of business.

Kathie

So now what? Anyone have any ideas as to how I can get my $ back??KitKat1

Rebecca

Oh, I’m so sorry you’re in the boat with us. 🙁 She told the WA state Attny. General’s Office she’d ship me a squirrel on Aug. 20th. She told me she’d take it to the vet to get the state required vet check on Aug. 19. Never heard from her. Emailed multiple times. Finally, she said she didn’t think she’d send me a squirrel after all because she "didn’t like what I said about her in the attny. general’s report."
    I said, "What, the truth??? I sent you an email link to my ripoff report which was cut and pasted to form the attny. general’s report. "
    She responded on the attny. general’s email in our negotiations, but she’s using it as an excuse to not send me the squirrel. Either he didn’t pass the vet check or she didn’t want to drive the 1.5 hours to the nearest exotic pet vet (according to her). Anyway, she said she’d have my money back in 90 days, but it’s been MORE than 90 days since the FIRST TIME she said she’d goofed, checked the squirrels too late and they were too old to send. HER FAULT.
    I have had the most success with working with my attny. general’s office. Actually, Melonie Buchanan wrote a post on some animal site which TOLD people what to do if they got screwed! lol I sent her a copy of that and said, "You’re not sending my animal, so I’m going down your very own list of ‘to dos’!"
    It includes contacting your state attny. general’s office and filing a complaint, same w/ Indiana’s state attny. general’s office, the Better Business Bureau, the FBI’s internet crime dept. (IC3) AND Gregg at the Squirrel Lover’s Club–He’s putting my story in the newsletter next month and I’m sure he wouldn’t mind some extra info from you.
    PLEASE file a ripoff report. These things show up on the net when people do a search of her. The more of us who do this, the more people will find out about her.
    I met a lady who lives near me through ripoff report. She waited more than a year to get an animal she paid for…and she thinks it’s wild or not been handled. It’s not nearly tame enough, and she’s had groundhogs before, so she knows.
    Please follow through with these things if someone has taken your money and not followed through–business owners who do this to people shouldn’t own businesses.
    Again, I’m sorry you’re in the middle of it, too. It’s no fun–just ask my kids….no squirrel, no $500.

Kathie

Thank you, I will start all this ASAP – lot of work, huh? Yes, mine was just under $500.00 for 2 flyers. The worse part is they were to be my grandaughters Birthday present——then we bought the $250.00 cage,etc.SOooo when I realized we weren`t getting them this time———back to the drawing board… what an expensive Birthday!!! So now that she is overdue w/ the $——-can you garnish wages? Lien something? What? Thanks for your help-I will update you as I jump thru the buerocratic hoops!!! KitKat1

Kathie

I tried to contact Greg @ Squirrel lovers Club———-too many clubs by that name—any specifics on contacting him? KitKat1

Rebecca

you bet.
    I have meant to phone him back this week, although I have updated him every step of the way by email, I haven’t spoken on the phone with him for just over a week.
    I am having trouble with attaching the link. If you search the squirrel lovers club, it should pop up first. He’s sqrlman.

Kathie

do you have the contact information for everyone that you suggested I contact? Not sure which city in Indiana…on the rip off report there is a letter from a girl in Washington that mentioned several cities, she also said she was working with a newspaper for a story – sure would like to get that info. Thanks for your help!
    KitKat1

Kathie

So far I have filed a rip-off report, am in the process as I write of filling out the complaint to the Attorney General in Indiana, found out that there is no Better Business Bureau in Rockville, Indiana,and I have not been able to find Greg at the squirrel lovers club because there are so many sites…if you have the website info and can reply back to me I will contact him. Thanks for all your help.
    KitKat1

Rebecca

Oh, the BBB thing. You go to their national site and file a report–the state office handles it. 🙂 I’m pretty sure you’re right, that the town doesn’t have one.
    Every time I try and post more specific info for Gregg, it won’t be accepted. I’m sorry.
    But try the BBB via state or national site and be sure to have her addresses, email, phone, etc. ready. There are already like 5 complaints on there about her, mostly under "Ratkateers Rodentry", I think. They said mine was "resoloved" based on what Melonie said, but I went back to them and said, "no animal, no refund, no resolution!", so I think we’re working on it again.
    Good luck.

Kathie

Thanks for your help——–just rec`d confirmation from BBB that they have my complaint ———- attorney gen has been contacted & proper forms filled out——–guess its just a waiting game now. KitKat1

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.