the worst dog ‘registry’ the ACHC..more hybrids!!!

Home Community Dog Breeding & Breeds the worst dog ‘registry’ the ACHC..more hybrids!!!

This topic contains 19 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  amanda 15 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

jacqueline

Wow, i can understand the poodle mixes where the reason was to allow people with allergies to be able to have a canine companion but as for the rest of these breeds…OMG! I would much rather go to the local shelter or rescue home and take in one of those poor babies then support this kind of breeding.

Jan

I agree – even more serious than being a dumb fad fueled by ignorance, it is unnecessarily cruel to the countless numbers of dogs who will end up unwanted in shelters when the fad wears off.

amanda

The pet overpopulation problem is not due to the "hybrid dog" fad. It’s due to lots of people thinking they can handle a pet when they don’t know what they’re getting into, and lots of people wanting to make a buck off purebred dogs, hybrid dogs, or whatever product will sell.
    Personally, I think that the AKC and other purebreed registries are "the worst" dog registries because they bar mutts/ hybrid/ designer/ shelter unknowns/ purebreds with the wrong color spots in the wrong place from taking part in fun competitions and events, solely because the dog was not a product of generations of doggy eugenics. All purebreds were hybrids until people at some authoritative round table accepted them as pure, and decided on a standard. Not that I have anything against purebreds. Some people want dogs that breed true and have been bred for specific purposes and that’s great.
    But, I have to say that I wish that mixed breed groups or hybrid registries grow robust and widespread. A month ago I rescued a mixed breed- a beautiful, smart, agile, fast, loving, loyal italian greyhound chinese crested mix.Her favorite thing in the world is to run as fast as she can and chase. She would have so much fun with something like lure coursing. But, where I live, only purebred sighthounds can compete. There is no competitive mixed breed agility or lure coursing near me. Why is that fair? Isn’t it just snobbishness that my little rescue dog can’t play?
    I hope that the hybrid group grows and grows and becomes popular where I live so my little girl can have the fun she deserves, even though she’s just a mutt.
    What prejudiced snobs all you exclusive purebreed folks are. Tell me why my dog can’t lure course or compete in agility, or why an organization that would accept her and let her play in their competitions and games is so bad.

Jan

Just how many centuries of careful breeding did it take to cultivate these so-called "hybrids"? To discover and address inherited genetic health problems? How far back does your particular dog’s lineage go? Not the individual lineage of whatever dogs found each other in the back alley, but the known familial bloodlines? How many generations? What is the parents’, grandparents’ and great-grandparents’ health history and lifespan?
    Before you call us "snobs", take a moment to educate yourself as to the real problem with these deliberately bred "designer" dogs. I have nothing against mixed breeds. The problem we are addressing is that people are throwing incompatible breeds together one after the other, with no regard to the individual breeds’ genetic traits other than their APPEARANCE.
    We are NOT snobs. Our dogs are hunting dogs, specifically bred and trained as hunting dogs. It is inherent in their breed. You can’t take a pekilabrapoo out hunting and expect it to point, flush, and retrieve.
    We own German Shorthaired Pointers. Before you decide you want to make a mutt out of a GSP, read THIS:
    "Most German Shorthaired Pointers are tough, healthy dogs, but according to Margo B. Maloney, DVM (NAVHDA Versatile Hunting Dog Magazine, April, 2003) the breed can be subject to a number of hereditary disorders just as any other purebred due to their breeding. As a hunting dog, the German shorthair pointer can have a narrow nose and air passages–this can cause the dog to gag and then have trouble breathing, especially under confusing circumstances. A few individuals may suffer from hip dysplasia, genetic eye diseases, epilepsy, skin disorders and cancerous lesions in the mouth, on the skin and other areas of the body.
    Unexplained swelling and growth of the nipples in adult males is considered normal in this breed and is fairly common. However, if the nipples become sensitive to the touch, a veterinarian should be consulted. Occasionally a biopsy will be recommended. Bleeding from the nipples may suggest infection or cancer. Female GSP in some lines are prone to breast cancer."
    The German Shorthaired Pointer was first registered with the German Kennel club in 1872 and the AKC in 1930. However, the origin of this breed goes as far back as the 17th Century. This breed is the result of several centuries of careful breeding and still they carry the possibility of known genetic health problems. Many other recognized purebreds carry the same types of lineage – and various inherited genetic problems. Please note, since I feel the need to repeat myself to you, that they were not REGISTERED until 1872 and not in the US until 1930.
    THIS IS THE PROBLEM WE HAVE WITH THE BYBs AND THE EXPLOSION OF CARELESS DESIGNER BREEDING!!!!!!!
    I know you don’t want to hear this, but these designer dog BYBs are creating more dogs that will end up being euthanized in shelters than the breeders of purebred dogs. It’s a fad. Fads wear off.
    I also believe that one of the beefs on this board was the exorbitant prices being charged for these mutts. I suppose you think that $600 isn’t a ridiculous price for a mutt when you can go to a shelter and get one for a reasonable donation or adoption fee.
    I am sorry but statements like yours are ignorant and completely un-researched at best.

amanda

I am against careless breeding for profit when it comes to purebred dogs and "hybrid" dogs. If a "Labradoodle" breeder performs genetic and health tests on his dogs, is willing to be responsible for the fate of all dogs he brings into the world, provides adequate food, shelter, care, socialization etc of all his dogs, then that "hybrid" breeder is more responsible than most purebred breeders.
    My dog was rescued from a puppymill that sells purebred poodles, great danes, dachsunds, chinese cresteds, italian greyhounds, and a couple other dog breeds (can’t recall all). The dogs they sell for most are the hairless chinese cresteds. My dog — an IG chinese crested mix was the result of a ‘mistake’ at the puppy mill. She spent the first 7 months of her life outside without any attention, was seriously underweight, had (still has, but her fur is growing in and covering it up) a scar n her face where she pressed her face against wire fence, and was (still is) very skittish and fearful. She had not been socialized at all.
    She is doing better every day, and is starting obedience classes in January. One thing that makes her very happy is running as fast as she can, so I thought maybe she would like lure coursing. I looked up lure coursing in my area, and it’s only open to purebred dogs. Had she been a purebred italian greyhound, she would be able to participate. It wouldn’t matter whether her breeder was a responsible one or whether she came from the same puppy mill. Do you think that activities and dog sports should be closed to mutts?

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.