To breed or not to breed… Why?

Home Community Dog Breeding & Breeds To breed or not to breed… Why?

This topic contains 41 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  maggie 16 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author

Christie

I am seeing a ton of people asking about breeding their dogs or having questions about accidental breedings. In this day an age why are we still seing this ? especially since we know all too well about the pet overpopulationWhat I want to know is why do you want to breed you dog? Watch the link below,

Linda

I don’t know, i just do not believe in over population theories, but what I do believe and understand is that dogs, cats, birds and other animals get bred for the soul purpose of making a few bucks here and there, and in the end, the animal gets abandoned, or has noone and nobody wants or cares for them
    For this we do need spay and neuter programs, but we need other ideas that will get through to people that breeding animal s for the almighty dollar is not in human or animal best interest.

Lmj

I agreed! nice video!

Christie

I still thin breeding, just to breed is wrong..these dog sheould be wanted BEFORE they are born…the parents should have what ever tests are needed before being bred…some of the post I am seeing out here just don’t make sense. if you are going to breed it should be peridred titles and champion dogs. there are so many in shelters that’s it’s ridiculous when I see someone want to breed a chih and a chih-poo mix becuase someone wants a baby..go to a shelter…there are thougsand waiting for homes. Spome people told me I was a hypocrite b/c I have a pregant female…, however the owners of the dog that’s pregant told me that had her spayed after her last litter…I didn’t ask for paperwork. And since my husband is a few sndwiches short of a pinic…he left her out to play with a male pit and lets just say i’ll have about 5 more mouths to feed in about 3 weeks. I am owrking very hard to make sure the pups are born healthy and that they have homes before they are born. And just for the record I wanted her spayed when I found out the owners refused and since they have taken such "good" care of her I made them sign a contract stating that they are recieveing nothing fomr this breeding as I am taking all the responsibilities for caring for Jasime and the pupies.

Christie

Sage…I just went back and re-read this ..what do you mean that you don’t beleive in the overpopulation therory? It is not a theroy, but a FACT..you cannot deny how may animals are euthanized in shelters every year. and what about all the people buying these "designer" dog like goldendoodles or labradoodles or schnoodles or morkies ? All of these so called breeds can be found ion your local shelter or rescue groups..so why do people still continue to breed? And why do they insist that they are "responsible" if they don’t even bother to get the proper testing done? Yes it was irresponsible of me to trust my husband to pay attention to the dogs…that’s how Jasmine ogt pregnant..and ever since she ahs been babies and give the best of care..she even has her own room…so do I feel guilty about adding o the pet overpopulation, however with in the next two months I will be making sure none of my dogs can ever make any more babies again.

Elizabeth

Over-population isn’t the biggest reason shelter dogs can’t find homes: MANY people who purchase puppies want exactly that — young puppies, often purebred — and would not get a dog otherwise. (That’s sad, but true.) Young purebred puppies that make it to shelters have no problem finding homes — it’s older, larger, mix-breed dogs that have real problems. (Like I said, that is sad — I personally LOVE mix-breed dogs.)

As for why breed in this day & age — I have a Chihuahua who has the best temperament, health, and appearance of any dog I’ve owned, and both of her parents are equally healthy & friendly. I chose not to breed her because Chihuahuas have such difficult pregnancies, but otherwise I might have!

Danny
    Participant

wolfwithc112 Thank you for raising this question/topic so that those who post wanting to breed their specific dog no longer have to have their question shoved aside and get reemed about how they shouldnt breed their dogs. Maybe now those who feel the need can do it here so others whom ask can truly get an anwer regarding their post. The following is a copied and pasted example of what I am talking about.
    "hey, i was thinking about breeding my silky terrier bitch with a Shih Tzu. should i b aware of any concerns breeding these two dogs? thanks in advance"
    I dont see why the same people have to take a post like this and turn it into why it is a bad idea to breed.
    I am sure your feeling the need as well now, but with all due respect to you and others who feel the same about this topic; I am certain we are all aware of the over population of animals. But lets stick to the persons outlined question rather then give them a lecture. I am sure you would agree that we have enough people in the world as wellyet I dont hear anyone (in life) complaining about the Smiths planning on another Smith soon. I just think it is reaching to far into the private lives of peoples lives to tell them they shouldnt do this because of all the irresponesiable pet owners over the last twenty years that has created the present overpopluation. As long as they take good care of those they breed that is all they are requried to do. Less we allow others to dictate when they can have anther child too!

Christie

Rottie..I love what you have done with youy dogs and I was hopng that you kinda saw my point a little more…I just do not see why someone would purposely breed to get a mixed breed dog…there are thousand in shelter everywhere waitng for homes. And yes beleive it or not I do have a problem with people "over breeding" I do not have children, nor am I going to I had my husband neutered..he has two girls he does see nor does he take care of and I refuse to add another child to the worl when I know that I am not mother material and I wouldn’t feal well with having children. nor can I afford to give a child the best life possible 9college) so I refuse to have one. I hate it when I see these kids running around here with no parents to watch over them and then I see that mommy is pregnant again! If you can’t watch or take care of the kids you have why have more. I get a little off subject but I tend to practice what I preach..at least for the most part..You can get a very nice puppy throu rescue and shelters if you care to look. My biddest issue is irresponsible owners who allow there dogs to run free and get pregnant or impregnant anything that moves, and then refuse to take care of them, not to mention so called breeders who are breeding these designer dogs ans selling them for thousands when for that price you could adopt 10 dogs from the shelter. I understand people wanting puppies just like humans want a baby to adopt, but still there is a problem.

Danny
    Participant

wolfwitch112
    I couldnt agree more! But what does someone elses screw ups regarding the responsbilty of their pet and all the added pups in this world have to do with a responsible person wanting to breed their dog. I understand you perfectly, I just dont connect the two simply becuase they do not connect. "Person across the streets dog gets out mates with dogs across town, comes home, many weeks later puppies born, go to pound" so therefore I cant breed my Rotties if I so desired? I dont think so…I feel badly for all the dogs without homes, but I do not feel responsible to the point that all others that are not reponible should be goverened by it when it comes to breeding their dogs to have puppy from their best friend. It would appear that you see thes animals as a kind of comodity that is available so why add to it? Not all people breed their dogs for the purpose to make money, but to have a pup from another one of their dogs to keep that specfic dog and its genes in their life. I did this with my Roweiler (JC) and Id do it again. I shouldnt be drilled because there are many dogs at the local pound that would fit the bill just as well. I disagree, there was and has never been another (JC), I didnt want "just another dog" I wanted one that was related to my first rott. I believe this is what a lot of people breed their dog for. But they get scolded by those who are stuck on the idea that they are being irresponsible. I believe theres a load of ingnorance both ways here.

Hollly

Breeding to better the breed is fine. Breeding for money, or just because you want to is not… Because most of those animals will not find good homes. It’s irresponsible.

Elizabeth

To reiterate something I touched on: "to better the breed" is a bit of a closed-minded view. I think "to produce healthy, desirable puppies" is more like it — for example, if I decided to breed my super-awesome Chi because I want puppies with the same characteristics she has, and I decided to breed her with another small dog because he has compatable characterisics, that isn’t for THE BREED, but it would still produce great puppies who wouldn’t have trouble finding homes. I think that’s perfectly reasonable, especially if the person breeding the mixed dogs intends to take care of them properly. I understand that maybe there are Chi-terrier mixes in shelters, but they aren’t all Chi-terriers with the characteristics I want to propogate. So these people breeding labradoodles are just like all breeders: some of the are scummy, but some of them are genuinely trying to produce good pets.

Linda

breeding "good pets?" What do you mean? The pets in shelters are not throw aways!!!!
    People are just irresponsible, and "Move on to the pet of their choice without blinking an eye!!

There should be enough love to go around for everyone. And it’s a crying shame that as a whole people breed for the Perfect pet, when the shelter pets are waiting, wanting, and willing to give 100 % of their precious personality to anyone who will love and care for them.

Sorry, you just can’t make that last argument stick. No offense.

Elizabeth

You misunderstood a little, I think. I HAVE shelter dogs as pets — they are GREAT pets. That wasn’t what I was saying, exactly. What I was saying is that RESPONSIBLE breeding of two different breeds in order to produce puppies with good health and temperament IS OKAY and isn’t the same as the random-gene-swapping of dogs who get pregnant because their owners were irresponsible. And it’s silly to say that some dogs aren’t more suitable pets than others — of COURSE some dogs are more loyal, affectionate, healthy, intelligent and less aggressive than others. My point was that if you can acheive this by mixing breeds, it’s no different than acheiving this with pure-breeding.

heather

I totally understand your point of view, but if you have a particular breed that was phasing out or I guess I should put it like I’ve read it, "a dying breed" like my English Mastiffs, you would want to preserve the breed right? I love my babies to death and I think more people should have such a wonderful dog and dogs like them; however, I also feel that if people can spend so much on one single dog, and they consider getting another, they should think about going to the shelter and rescuing a dog. Ever since I was a kid, we always had a Golden Retriever, and a dog that we would rescue from the local shelter. I guess with breeding, I just think that being as prepared as you can possibly be, like knowing who the pups are going and having a back up plan is crucial.

Elizabeth

I agree with almost everything Samsonsmom said. I’m not against pure-bred dogs, 2 of mine are pure-bred, and one is not. I was just saying that "BETTERING THE BREED" isn’t the only good reason to mate dogs. There is also bettering the species — producing good pets, whether they are pure- or mixed-breed.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.