Animal Cops

Home Community People & Their Pets Animal Cops

This topic contains 98 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Barbara 13 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 91 through 99 (of 99 total)
  • Author

Lucy

i agree that some of the reasons they put an animal to sleep are pretty stupid. Tonight, 8/4, I was watching Animal Cops Miami. A nice looking Lab wearing a harness and lead was hit by a car and broke his leg. The lead had been chewed through, which allowed the dog to escape. Rather than taking the animal back to the shelter, the woman euthanized it on the spot because it was, "a stray" and did not have any tags or a microchip. I find this absolutely appalling. The Society should have taken the animal back to their facility, repaired the leg or at least kept comfortable for a week, and hoped that the owners came looking for it. I would be totally outraged if this happened to my pet, especially if I had taken the time to tie up the dog and didn’t realize it would chew through the lead..

Lynnette

Anna Marie, I watch Animal Cops and Animal Precinct a lot too, and hopefully they will expand, because they are so needed! I do agree with you however, and hope sooner rather than later they will change those decisions they make about those animals who were subject to neglect. Those animals just need more time and therapy, and I think most of them would be fine. I think it’s just that there’s not enough room and money to keep them. If there was a way to sort that out, then I’m sure it would. And, about the Michael Vick case, it just shows that not all fighting Pitbull dogs need to be put to sleep, most of his dogs were affectionate and didn’t show aggression towards other dogs when they didn’t have to. So new laws need to come into effect about that. We need to have more shelters for animals who need more therapy, as well as stricter animal rights, and laws when purchasing animals as pets. I hope in the near future, I will be able to help push these laws forward, at the moment I’m stuck in another business… but it’s always in my mind.

Steve

That’s a real shame:( But like someone said before a dog trained into aggressiveness will be incredibly hard to train out of it, and the risks will be great.

Jasmine

It is sad to hear those stories however the Haven Humane is a non-profit organization which means they make their end-meat by the public donating to them. Usually donations are small and not enough and the shelters these days in this economy are literally overflowing with animals. Most of the time they will try to send it to a special rescue organization that can help rehabilitate the boxer. And they may have tried however a lot of places are full. Sadly enough because of this problem they are only going to keep the animals who have a better chance at finding a good home. I know it is sad because animals like that Boxer are more deserving because of what they went through but it is true. I highly recommend adopting a shelter animal. They make great pets.

Mary

I have to agree with you on this. Why don’t they wait until the dog has put some weight back on, which would show he’s not affrad of lossing his food. And socialize him then do the test. If it still don’t work place him/her with adults only. And make shore they know not to touch the food after giving.

Lucy

Later this year the first standardized, scientifically validated personality assessment test for shelter animals, MATCH-UP II, should be available to shelters across the country. Thanks to a $3 million dollar grant and research conducted by Dr. Amy Marder when she was the director of behavioral medicine at the ASPCA, the test will allow shelters to verify underlying personality traits, such as friendliness, fearfulness and aggressiveness, that remain with dogs well after adoption.
    According to Dr. Gary Patronek, VP of animal welfare and new programs and Marder’s supervisor at the Animal Rescue League of Boston, "MATCH-UP II…is not about passing or failing. It’s about learning about that dog and trying to figure out how to best match him [with an adopter]." This will provide a truer long term snapshot of the dog and how he will act/react in a home rather than the shelter.
    To eliminate subjective interpretation of dogs’ behaviors, the test will spell out how conductors of the test are to interpret the behaviors they observe. A scoring system further eliminates subjectivity.
    Information obtained from "Putting Assessment to the Test" by Ted Brewer, Best Friends Magazine, July/August 2010 (the official magazine of Best Friends Animal Society, Kanab, UT).

renee

Actually different shelters deal with this situation differently and not all put such stock in the food guarding response.
    I tend to agree with you Annamarie in fact I have written to the one in Houston Texas? I think and it might be that same dog.In New York they actually work with "problem" dogs and get fantastic results.
    Houston also euthanizes all pibulls so I’m not sure I like their policies that much.

Barbara

In a recent study on aggression in small breed dogs the daschund came out #4 (the jack russell terrier came out on top). I believe which may have more to do with your father’s dog’s behavior than food.
    While I am very leary of aggression in dogs (since I was grabbed by the throat by a german shepherd who had been friendly all day as a child) I agree that many of those tests are biased and are done far too soon for the animal to have a chance to adjust. A high percentage of small dogs fail this so called behavior test simply because they can’t handle the stress of being in a shelter situation and the barking of the larger dogs.

Barbara

Rescues are NOT limited to purebred only! I foster for 2 rescue groups which, while they are specifically set up for set breeds, will take mixes of those breeds or even dogs of other breeds. Rescues are great at networking and will help you find a group for a stray/abandoned animal even if they can’t take it themselves. Recently I heard of a litter of 8 puppies in danger of being euthanized and, while they were not a breed I work with, I put out the word to my contacts and within a week I was able to hand them over to a rescue. That rescue had placements for all 8 within 3 weeks.

Viewing 9 posts - 91 through 99 (of 99 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.