Animal Cops

Home Community People & Their Pets Animal Cops

This topic contains 98 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Barbara 13 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 99 total)
  • Author

Anna

Ok well take it down a notch then, clearly something got to you, all I’m saying was what you said was probably enough to say "let’s put her to sleep" because they arn’t hearing "oh the dog scratched me with her tooth" they are hearing "this dog got aggressive and she’s covering for it" get it now. Like I said it’s all about excuses for them. I’ve run into a cocker spaniel who was so matted, not brushed or taken to a groomers for at least 3 yrs. She was a rescue dog who’s previous owners beat her and even put her in the microwave as a puppy…yes I said microwave, well I wanted to call the spca asap and I did talk to them but eventually I decided not to because this dog had trust issues and I knew she wouldn’t find a home and then they’d put her down, she is with a family who believe it or not really do love her (i’ve seen this from her) and they pulled enough money together and got her back to having a normal coat. So I had to make a choice and I choose to keep her with the family she loves because I knew the outcome wouldn’t save her life it would’ve ended it.

Danny
    Participant

I told the officer in the field, the dog was clamping down on the food, my finger scraped her tooth and cut already weaked skin from an earlier abrasion. I showed the officer my finger, she saw no puncture wound! I told officer dog was unaware that she did this and that it only occured because I was feeding her. It has happened with my dogs! I told the officer I was petting her for 30 plus minutes with no attempt by the dog to bite me. I said however due to the fact that I was cut and had her salvia on same spot I was concerned about rabies being the dog was a stray (shots?).
    She told me to call and report what I just told her. I did only one difference. I stated over and over what is written above. Not because I was trying to save the dog, it didnt occur I needed to save her, save her from what? It never crossed my mind what I reported was going to be taken and restructured into "the dog bit him, we have to destroy her".
    Annamarie I speak english, write as I speak and while you have a right to your "opinion" I will not tolerate (‘nated) at the end of that word when it has to do with twisted distortions regarding an otherwise honest delivery of the facts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Done!

Danny
    Participant

Left something out; I stated over and over the story for two reason 1) it was what happened 2) I was making sure they understood the truth that the dog hadnt bit me so the owner would not face problems. So I was pre-defending the owner should this shelter come down on the owner and twist the story, instead they just killed the dog. Problem over…

Lucy

Well, I guess it’s time I jumped into the fray. Anna Marie is right; the Humane organization DID play God. It’s not the first time something like that has happened on Animal Cops, no matter what state they represent and, sadly, it won’t be the last. However, As Suebgone noted, a lot of decisions have a political basis. Many humane organizations get donations from individuals and groups. Unfortunately, they sometimes have to play by those rules rather than the rules of the heart. They make a lot of good decisions and have a lot of happy endings. But they sometimes make what seem to be poor decisions. We have to remember, too, that as onlookers rather than participants, we may not know the whole truth and nothing but the truth. In some of these euth cases, there may be facts lurking in the background of which we are not aware. At least these "cops" are busy rescuing and placing the majority of animals rather than giving them 7 days in a cage and summarily destroying them. As far as Rotti’s situation is concerned, I think she did everything in her power to try and make the police and impoundment personnel understand that the dog did not bite her but, she had every right to worry about the possibility of contacting rabies from an unknown animal. The enforcement people were stupid and shortsighted: They heard what they wanted to hear, not what she said. The oweness falls on them, not Rotti.

Danny
    Participant

God bless you woofnmew, but only if you change she to he. LOL

Christie

Rottie..those are the exact reason I do not take the dogs I pick up to the shelter…they don’t seem to listen and they have a huge number of animals coming in that shelter. the only reason I take an animal there is if it shows true agression towards me or another dog…then I let them deal with it.

Anna

Yeah the problem is done because the dog has been put to sleep, for no reason anyone can see.

Sue

wolfwitch, I would hope that you are doing everything possible to find an owner for the dogs you pick up, as they would not know to call you with a lost report I wouldn’t think. As for the "Locking Jaws" crack, I never said they did. I said show me another breed that can hang from a tree for an hour ( or something to that effect )

Danny
    Participant

woofnmew
    I agree. I have in the past lost my dog for days, not a good feeling but still found him, luckly first! So in the future as far as I go, I will run adds, post fliers etc while holding their dog in kennel in my back yard I am now going to build.

Anna

I don’t think i’d ever call a shelter, but what are you supposed to do after you’ve done the flyer thing and put adds in papers and still no-one has claimed the dog??

Danny
    Participant

If its a purebred seach for a rescue person in your area, even out of your area. Otherwise hang onto for as long as it takes. Humane Societys will take your information, sometimes even add pic of dog to their website with your info stored privately. People who call in looking for same desription of dog will be told to call you. Or directed to website to search. If after a couple months no owner shows, adopt him or her out yourself.
    I guess I wasnt thinking when I called the Humane Society last time this happened to me…?

Christie

sueb…yes some other terriers will hang like that..it’s the attitude they have and yes I have seen it..no i don’t agree with it. It’s teaching them to hold on to what even they have and that’s a reciepe for disaster. Yes I do try to find the owners for the dogs I pick up..infact today I was on the phone with the local ACO b/c someone tried to accuse me of stealing the dog from the back yard when she was running the neighborhood. ACO had the record that I called to report her found and he had her pic on file…no one called to claim her…also since it’s been three weeks since I picked her up and I vetted her he said that I could do with her as I wish..such as adopt her out or keep her. The other dog I picked up last week I was able to reunite with his owner. She had call the HS and reported her dog missing. It’s what I do ..I follow the law very carefully here and try to work closely with the ACO, but I still refuse to take any good natured bullies to the shelter…the likelyhood of them being euthanised is to high. I can’t save them all, but the ones I can help..I do.

Sue

annamarie, you really should not do ANY advertising on a found dog. It just puts them in too much danger. Yes, give accurate info to AC & shelters but no flyers or ads in the newspapers. If you are going to take on that responsibility then you must protect the animal from those who would get it to sell to research or use for pit bull bait. All info you give out can be used to a dishonest persons benefit.

Sue

incidenty wolfwitch, have you looked at the new kennel regs proposed for PA? You may have to be licensed as a rescue & I doubt you will be able to comply. They will shut down just about every rescue in the state & a lot of shelters too.

Anna

First I would make sure that the dog is theirs, I would make them tell me about the dog before they even see it and if the dogs acts like they don’t know then it’s not going. It’s the same with owners who abuse their pets, I always said if I ever came across a customer (I’m a mobile groomer) who hurt their dog then me and that dog are leaving together and there will be NO if,ands,or buts about it. What about people who could careless, I found the sweetest dog before (lost) and I called her owner (number on the tag) and when she came and got her she wasn’t very excited she just said "oh ya this happens all the time"

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 99 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.