Smoking and Pets

Home Community People & Their Pets Smoking and Pets

This topic contains 44 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Lynda 13 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • Author

Anna

Me too, good luck with that. 🙂

Rachel

Thanks ladies!

Barbara

It’s hard to say what causes some lung cancers. There are people who have smoked for 50 years or more and never get it and then there are people who have never smoked or have never been around a smoker in their lives and they get it. We have a 10 year old cat and we smoke in the house all the time and so do my 2 sons whenever they are visiting. Of course we make sure that we are not blowing it directly into Kitty’s face.

Anna

And I agree with that pupcat, smoke in your house just not in their face.

Linda

I smoke. My 3 original cats that I got as kittens are used to it and don’t mind, as long as I don’t blow smoke in their faces. My Turkish rescue cat who was a year old or more when I found him starving to death in front of a store doesn’t like it and won’t sit on the sofa with me when I am smoking. Sonja, now almost 7 years old, sits in my lap when I am smoking. None of my cats are sick.

Susan

Do you REALLY think that our pets somehow have the ability to protect their immune systems from cigarette smoke that we do not have?
    Stop smoking, sorry, but I lost my Dad to lung cancer, don’t let the people that love you go through that. And i am convinced your Shih tzu will do much better without the additional stress on his respirtory system.
    I know mine is… I sure don’t mean to preach, but I know the little dogs aren’t equipped with much of an olfactory system to filter out contaminants.
    Take care.

Bibiana

My uncle was a chain smoker. He had emphysema and eventually it claimed his life at 84. Our 4 poodles were subject to his smoking and we had to put them down all the same year within 3 months of eachother. The vet said they had water in their lungs and that the humane thing to do was to put them out of their missery. 12 years of inhaling his second hand smoke did them in.

I am a smoker and I will go in the other room, close the door so the same thing does not end up happening to my dog.

Anna

I’m sorry but if he lived to be 84 and the dogs lived to be 12 than that’s all pretty good, 12 years for any kind of poodle is a good long life.

Bibiana

I think you missed my point. They all suffered horrible deaths. My uncle and dogs all died pretty much asphyxiated due to the smoking. Yes they did live long lives… But are we talking about quality of life or length… ?

Susan

Dogs should live to be 20 if they have proper nutrition and care. And when you turn 80 let’s see if you think 84 is long enough.
    It’s never easy to watch someone you love leave this worl. Even if they live to be 100.

Bibiana

i agree auntsuse

Anna

Yeah well if I live to be 80 I’ll be happy as a clam, and let’s be real here small dogs live to be maybe 16/17 and even 18 years at best, it’s how it goes so I wouldn’t be thinking that with a perfect balanced diet and living in a non-smoking environment that my dogs could live so much longer. If they were in such distrss and pain for so long than why weren’t they put to sleep when it started, If a pet is suffering and nothing can be done they why prolong this experiance, I’ve heard from my vet that people do this, they keep their pets alive not walking, not eating quality of life is gone but for their own selfish reasons they keep them around. (I’m saying this was you it’s just a fact that some people do this)

michele

I used to have a hand-tamed parakeet that was like any typical parakeet would start chirping when you walked in the room but then I noticed a big change, no more chirping, no other real symptoms. One day I put the parakeet and cage in the car to go to a friends house and WOW he started to chirp up a storm. I was convinced smoking was definitely bad for my feathery friend.

Susan

You must be very far away from 80… And I do agree that it is our moral obligation to relieve our pets suffering and certainly not to be the cause of it. I know enough about nutrition to know if you are nutritionally sound and take care of yourself you will live a more productive, fulfilled life. Why is nutrition not as important to our dogs/cats?
    Annamarie, what do you feed your dogs? I’m just curious…

Anna

There main food is from our vet (for bladderstones) and both are on it even though it’s just for the one other than that our 1 yr old shih tzu seems to like fruit while our other prefers veggies (cooked or raw) and we give them fish or chicken sometimes steak, sometimes pork (never fat) and I only think that giving your dog the best nutrition possible isn’t necessarily going to make them live that much longer, our other shih tzu lived to be about 15 and she had a pretty good diet as well, she even ate a frozen brussel sprout once. From what I know about dogs and pets in general living to be 15 or 16 is a good age and I see so many little dogs who are around this age.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.