Smoking and Pets

Home Community People & Their Pets Smoking and Pets

This topic contains 44 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Lynda 13 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author

Anna

So how many of you smoke and how many will smoke around your pets (bird, dog, cat, hamster) we smoke in our home with 2 dogs but they don’t like it so they usually move away which is good. When are 9 yr old shih tzu was a puppy I moved him away from smoke all the time so now when someone lights up he knows to move. People don’t be afraid to post your honest answer and I would appreciate no judgement, no nasty comments just the truth, I’m curious to know what everyone thinks 🙂

rex

used to smoke in my house untill i got birds.. didnt think much of it affecting my dogs but im sure it does..im also a neat freak and the dust in the house drove me crazy from the smoke…i can deal with dog hair but dust drives me crazy

Anna

I agree dust is annoying and I have heard your not supposed to smoke or have air fresheners or incence around birds. We also air out our house quite a bit.

Robbin

I have a good friend who smokes in his home and his dog of ten years just died of lung cancer….. Coud it have been his smoking that caused it? Maybe.

Linda

science has proven that second hand smoke kills.

Pet birds? Yikes! Smoking effects them in a very bad way.

Smoking, if you think about it, yes it may calm you down, but the truth is you are making your lungs look and feel like a soot covered chimney that needs cleaned, but there’s just no way.

The question is, how many years longer will you and your pet/pets live if you give up smoking???

P.S. My son smokes, and I cringe whenever he’s around my pet birds. They love him, but he generally stays away cuz he’s deaf in one ear, and the noise is a bit much for him so mom can rest easy.

But once again, how long will you and your pets live if you give up smoking?

Anna

well I don’t think us smokers are looking for a lecture first and second we had a shih tzu live until about 15 and we smoked around her as well. It’s not like we’re blowing it in their faces so please don’t try to make me feel bad for smoking around my pets.

Linda

Anna Marie, since when is a direct question a lecture?

It’s actually a decision you make whether to feel bad about smoking around your pets or not.

The question is, how much longer will you live and your pets if you don’t smoke?

This question does not mean, you can’t live 15 or 50 some odd years. It’s simply a question, that I hope someone can back up with scientific information.

so please don’t read into the question anymore than what it’s worth.

Your pets are at risk of second hand smoke, and you from first hand. What you do concerning the habit is really your business.

This is just a very good topic to discuss.

Second hand smoke
    First hand smoke
    and the years of life you may be knocking off or adding to…..

Lecture? I don’t think so.

Anna

It wasn’t the question it was the comments before hand, and thankfully we’ve never had any problems with pets and smoking so far, who knows how long pets will live, do you know how long yours will live…the answer is no because unfortunately no one does. However I was recently at a customer’s home where she would literally chain smoke while holding her dogs and I watched the smoke go in their faces…Now that I do not agree with, that’s why are dogs will go away when we do. It sucks because I can’t say anything to her it’s not my place and to make it worse her female was pregnant, so I don’t agree with smoking around them but yes smoking in your house is fine. (if you get what I mean by that 🙂

Linda

maybe in your house, but I certainly wouldn’t allow smoking in mine.

It just kills me to watch my son smoke, but it’s a decision he’s made.

I don’t have to like the habit, but I sure love him

And you are right. Smoke in a dogs face especially if it’s pregnant is not a good thing.

Rachel

So ironic that this is brought up. I smoke, but only outside because I honestly can’t stand being in a closed room with someone smoking. Also, my husband doesn’t smoke and hates it. My cat isn’t around it. But, I have really wanted to quit for so many reasons, and just this week I started on Wellbutrin to help me kick the habit. It will take some time but hopefully I will win! I know this site is about pets but wish me luck anyway!

Christie

I have to chime in on this one….yes I do smoke in the house..and yes I have had two dogs die of cancer in one year (link at bottom) however neither of those deaths were related in any way to me smokeing…completely differnt types of cancer. When I got Loki I stayed away from him while smoking..especially when he was a baby. as he got older I only smoked inside if I had the windows open. Currently I have a pregnant female and I only smoke inside if it’s freezing cold out or by an open window. Even then I go into another room. I kinda follow the same rules as I would for human childrena dn pregnant mothers.

Juliet

My cat was diagnosed with lung cancer before he died. I only had him for 6 months (he was 7) so who knows if a prior owner smoked and caused this. How does a CAT get lung cancer other than that?

Juliet

My cat was diagnosed with lung cancer before he died. I only had him for 6 months (he was 7) so who knows if a prior owner smoked and caused this. How does a CAT get lung cancer other than that?

Anna

Maybe he had an owner who would hold him and smoke, I can’t stand that but on the other hand pets can have these problems too even if they are not around smoke (as wolfwitch said) so who knows. Did you know that he was sick when you got him because the previous owner should have warned you.

Linda

RK we do wish you luck with trying to kick the smoking habit.

May we all learn to be happy and healthy.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.