Chinchillas: who has one & how long do they live?

Home Community Small Pets Chinchillas: who has one & how long do they live?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  anna 16 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Christie

I purchased Quicksilver in Nov or Dec of 1996 ans she was about 6mo. old. She is house in a HUGE cage with planty of jumping and hiding spaces and thing to chew on. She has had 3 littters in the past. I got her right beofre I adopted phoenix. Phoenix has since passed, but I still have Silver…not that I mind..Just wondering..how long to chins live and what she she be getting extra of?

Taylor

Mine only ended up living 2 years…:(

Hollly

I did a little digging, and I am getting mixed answers for chinchilla lifespan from 15 to 25 years!

Christie

Wow..I’d heard of 13 but I didn’t think a rodent could live onger than a dog!! Sorry about that taylor..that’s really rare.

tiffany

they usually live about 15 years but can make it to 20 if your lucky. we’ve had a couple of chins that were about ten years when we got them from a retired breeder. so you’ve still got a while to go.

chris

I adopted my first chin from the SPCA after it was removed from a condemned home (along with the removal of the kids as well) he only lived about 6 months after we took him in, but I suspect he had some environmental contamination.

We adopted an 8 week old pup a few months after and he is about a year+ and is fatter and more energetic than the first.

Do yours make a call that sounds like sea gulls cawing at the beach??

Christie

sorry i didn’t get back sooner..bust weekend and all..and tyes silver does make these odd calls sometimes..usually at night and I think she’s now talking to the pigeon..the worst was when I had guinea pigs too and they would raise a racket when she started talking. the odd thing was I never really heard a peep from her when she lived with another chin.

Daniellle

yes i read that they can live up to 20-25 years although i do not have 1 i know some1 tht does and i was wondering was Phoenix a chinchilla too ??

linzi

hi im getting a chinchilla very soon and ive heard they live from 10 to 20 years and taylor chinchillas some time have bad sicknesses that can cause death.

anna

An associate in rescue of mine has one 24 years old.
    Because there diet, lifetsyle, temperature requirements, chewing needs, wood types, etc, are so specialized and delicate, it is harder to take proper care of them to get them to live that long.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.