Never owned a dog…which breeds should I consider

Home Community Dog Breeding & Breeds Never owned a dog…which breeds should I consider

This topic contains 38 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Wendy 11 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author

Lisa

Sassy, thanks! It’s rare when I can’t out talk or write someone (not always proud of it! ha ha – like when all 3 of my boys tune me out – that count included my husband!). Argh!

Bobbi Jo

Catlady
    haha men are always like that except for when they talk you have to listen to EVERYTHING they say! lol

Lmj

imaginit- I would take suegone’s advice. Go look into shelter and you will know what you want. No offense to anyone who suggested a breed, not every breed they suggest will make you happy. When a person suggested a breed, it takes a lot of time to do research on the breed before buy. In my opinion a puppy might be too handful for 1st time dog owner. I prefer to see 1st time owners come down with a rescue dog who is potty trained and have some obedience. Usually they are more calm.

Karen

imaginit – I have the UTMOST respect for people who research getting a new pet instead of leaping into the fire. I have over 20 years animal rescue experience and ADOPTION COORDINATION experience. I suggest to anyone looking for a dog: Go to the online adoption sites, I believe PetPeople Place has a ‘survey’, what type of dog do I want. I know they have it at Petsavers.com. Take the survey, be honest. You may be surprized with the match.
    READ: ‘How to be your dog’s best friend’ by the Monks of Skete. Watch ‘The Dog Whisperer’, Ceasar gives excellent advice to people on how to keep dogs happy, healthy, and CENTERED. And how to establish the ‘pack leader’.
    Do you have time to attend basic obedience classes, and then teach the family. The human is the one that is taught, the dog will follow your instructions. I agree with Suebgone – no Cockers – not for kids. Neither are Shetland Ponies, but who are they purchased for? Kids. People I know who have had Cockers have ALL been bitten – these were dogs raised by adults, lived with adults – AKC reg. Last time Lorna was bitten, required surgery and the painful decision to have the dog put down. Dog had bitten before. My personal favorite is terriers – medium sized terriers are great family dogs. Loyal, smart, the heart of a lion. My mastiff mix is excellent with my grandkids, she worships the youngest, and SO gentle. But mastiffs aren’t for everyone. Research, network, then look for your new family member.

Karen

Also – please think of this as a ‘life-long’ commitment. Till death do you part.

And yes, rescue organizations have the dogs in FOSTER situations. They are with a family, behavior is observed and noted.

Good luck, take care!

Kristina

Very good advice cattwmn. The pet survey is a great place to start!! However, I have to disagree with statements that have been made about cockers. While I agree that cocker spaniels may not be right for everyone, there is no general biting problem with that breed. Have had 2 cockers (and 3 children) and never had any kind of biting incident. Basic unwanted behavior (ruling out bad breeding and deficits, of course) is symptomatic of the owner.

Nilda

I agree with previous posts. Shelter dogs make great pets If, u are careful to pick one with No serious behavior issues ! Don’t be afraid to ask too many questions.. Consider your life style – are u & ur kids active , or not so much ? If you are not active u need a low energy breed type dog Otherwise , u just got a pet who , has more energy than u & ur kids put together Dogs need to burn energy thru exercise , walking , or play . Regardless of your yard size , be prepared to still devote the time to play & walk your dog. I would go look at shelter , if u see something your interested in , ask about what breed it is . Then , go home & research the breed & history , health , & amount of exercise required for this particular breed . Decide if that’s what will work for u & ur family. Best of luck.

laura

I agree for going to a dog shelter. Make sure they can tell you as much as possible about the dog. The age, health issue’s, problems as well. If possible either a puppy or a dog that’s a bit older. Stay and visit for a couple of hours if you have to, to make sure you get to know the dog. This is very important! how is the dog reacting to your children, gently etc…Golden’s are great for family’s they do require good brushing as they do shed a lot, but are worth every moment of it because of their beautiful disposition. Some smaller dogs Bichon Frise are usually very nice but have to go in for grooming every 8-12 weeks costs could be $40-$60 each visit. Just do a lot of studying on the different breeds to make sure you are up for the care in your new family member. Hope this helps! Best of luck to you and your children on finding the perfect addition to your family

Wendy

Thank you to everyone for your great suggestions.
    After months of research , I decided on a boxer. We bought her as a puppy and she will be 5 yrs in April. I trained her from the day she came home and she is so smart, gentle, and puts up with whatever the boys give her. ( I made sure I gently tugged on her ears, tail and pulled up her feet as a puppy). She absolutely adores my boys! She learns so fast! She is trained regularly by the boys, now 12 and 9. I think we made a good choice and wouldn’t trade her for the world! I love the breed so much , I am considering getting another boxer.

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.