Never owned a dog…which breeds should I consider

Home Community Dog Breeding & Breeds Never owned a dog…which breeds should I consider

This topic contains 38 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Wendy 11 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author

Bobbi Jo

Definitely get a rescue dog. I would recommend a boxer. I have a 5yr old and a 6month old, they get along great with my 5 year old niece they love going bye bye and for walks. My 5yr old doesn’t bark unless the other two get her going. She has a very fine coat too. Make sure if you do adopt go there more than once and visit the dog you think you want to get. Take them for walks at the shelter and have your kids come. Make sure you are ready for another kid too!! Good luck!

Click on any picture to see full size:

Sue

hsavill, just an FYI in most cases short haired dogs shed a lot more than long haired dogs. The OP is in the states & as I said previously, staff’s are considered pits for insurance & BSL purposes. Most say pit bull & any pit bull type/looking dogs.

Wendy

Thanks again everyone for your input. I have not been to the local shelter yet.
    How do I know what kind of behavioral problems a dog may have? Never having owned a dog I would not be sure what to do without lots more reading!
    I have another question, I have a "common area" backed up to my backyard, we have a required 2 rail fence 36 inches high. Per the neighborhood rules we can put chicken wire up to 48" high along the fence for kids and animals safety, how concerned should I be about a dog jumping the fence? Someone suggested a boxer but I’ve heard they like to jump….
    Getting a little closer to understanding all my options….

Bobbi Jo

I have another question, I have a "common area" backed up to my backyard, we have a required 2 rail fence 36 inches high. Per the neighborhood rules we can put chicken wire up to 48" high along the fence for kids and animals safety, how concerned should I be about a dog jumping the fence? Someone suggested a boxer but I’ve heard they like to jump….

I suggest you just go to your local shelter and walk up and down the aisle and look at each dog. They have papers on their cages telling some info about them. I would definitely read that since some of them are on medications or have certain issues. Find a dog you feel has sweet eyes. Read about them and ask to take them out. I feel it is hard to tell a dog true temperment at a shelter since when they come out of the cage lots of them will act the same way: happy to be out, pulling strongly, sniffing everything and everyone, and so on. Go to one of the pens with them (if available) and try and play with them and interact. Take them for walks and try to get a fel for the dog. If it doesn’t work go back in and look for another. Once you find one you like make sure your kids like him/her too and make sure the dog isn’t rough or aggresive with them. Some things you may want to watch out for: If they shy away from people> although they may have been abused and just shy many scared dogs will try and protect themselves by biting, and once again possibly not to be mean but to avoid getting hurt. (continued)

Bobbi Jo

I do not feel these kind of dogs are at all suitable for children because of their quick movements, loud noises, and many kids like to cling on. However I think they would be good for a single owner who can work with them in a quiet enviroment, obviously not your case. Watch out for lunging or growling at people or hair sticking up. If you get a male walk him around the inside of the shelter and make sure he is potty trained and not marking everything in site. Although many dogs will not be it is very hard with males since they pee on things, messy and sometimes you won’t even know they did it until later. I would make sure and buy some books and do LOTS and LOTS of reading you can never learn too much. Make sure your building has no breed restrictions and if it does steer clear away from them. I have good experiences with pitbulls but they are restricted just about everywhere and I don’t know if you would want them around your kids. Many little dogs also tend to have a big temper.
    36 inches is not high enough, if your dog ever saw something outside of it he/she could jump right over. I’ve never heard about the boxers jumping anymore then any other dog, my boxers have never tried to escape and i never noticed them jumping. My German Shepard/Pitbull mix jumps a lot higher and will sometimes jump over boxes in the house or jumps at the horse stable just for fun it seems like. Any dogs I reccomend are: Boxers (so great with kids), golden retrievers, and labs. Hope this helps!

Click on any picture to see full size:

Lisa

Hi again,
    I think Sassy had a lot of great things to say! From reading all the previous posts I agree with a lot (I love Yorkies but with two little kids that may have lots of friends over – they are very small and vunerable which means YOU have to be careful). I also love Staffies and Boxers. As much as I love Boxers, they can have a lot of energy and be stubborn, so as a first time dog owner, that would take some thought. Staffies are great, it’s the Pit Bull reputation that will cause that dog to suffer (especially if your friends, or parents of other children have issues with you having a Staffie). I would take a short list with you to the shelter (if you have decided to go that route) with your pros and cons. Do you want to groom the dog, do you want to walk it a lot (some dogs require this MORE than others – although walking your dog gives you the chance to be it’s pack leader, and to bond with it alone and the dog will always look to you as it’s ‘boss’), look at their ears (ears that lay over can have more infections than ears that stand up), jeez – there are a million things you can write. BUT, mainly, look at the personality of all the dogs in there cages before you take them out. Are they looking at you, interested in you, engaging you, wagging their tail, are their ears forward and perking and showing interest – or laid back with their eyes wide and showing fright (again – there may be some history there as Sassy said)…read the history posted to

Lisa

(sorry) their cage – you may find important facts to know ahead of time. I think that chicken wire is too thin, and maybe too dangerous (can cut a dog that jumps at it or chews it), you may want something a bit more sturdy or not liable to damage your dog. Maybe you can find a sort of lattice that you can put up. I also think it’s a bit low (36) unless your dog is 18 inches or so, and less than 40 pounds (this is a guesstimate of a size that may not be able to jump or climb over it). If you go to a shelter and take some of the dogs out, see how they respond to you, and to your children (but start with you and have you be the first ‘cut’ – if you don’t like the dog, then don’t introduce it to your children). See if the dog responds to a nice calm voice, you can try a fast, louder command and see the response (if the dog freaks out or runs away – there may be a history or abuse or a fear factor issue), try it out on a leash for a walk, gently tug ears and tails (mimic kids behavior)…. Perhaps take one day to do this without the kids, go home and ruminate, then bring the kids and make your decision. If you follow most of what everyone here says, you will be making a pretty informed choice. Also, watch how the dog is regarding it’s food – you do not want a dog that is protective of it’s food, toys, and such. That is a hard habit to break. You want to be able to know that if your kids decide to pet the dog while it’s eating that the dog won’t snap at them. I also

Lisa

(sorry again) have two boys (now 9 and 11), and I trained both the boys and the dogs to treat each other with respect. I hope that that is clear enough with out having to explain it. I have now abused with forum with 3 long replies, I apologize! I wish I could be a part of your journey, so please keep all of us posted as to your story. Lisa

Sue

imaginit, let me make this a lot easier for you. Please look for rescues. They are everywhere & listed on PetFinder & national breed club sites. there are breed specific rescues, some also take mixes, & there are generalized rescues. A REPUTABLE rescue will have had the dog for a minium of a month & since they are almost all foster based, the dog will have been in a home, giving them a much better idea of the dogs personality – warts & all. Rescues charge average of about $250 – $350 – includes – housebreaking, crate & leash training, neutering, shots UTD – heartworm tested & on flea & HW preventative, microchipped. these are dogs that have been pulled from shelters – usually minutes before they are to be euth’d. You will sign a contract (some shelters have too) that if for any reason you are unable to keep the dog, it comes back to the rescue. to determine a rescues degree of reputability, look for all of the above. Most importantly the length of time they have had the dog.

Nicole

Ive had several different kinds of dogs in my family.A cocker-spaniel would be great for the kids as long as you make sure to socialize it as a pup.I own a chihuahua and they are wonderful pets but i do not recommend anything toy sized.A medium breed like a Shetland Sheepdog would be very great or a golden retriever.Also look into a Jack russel terrier.

Taylor

I recommend a basset hound — great high energy outdoor / low energy indoor dogs. Great dog for a busy family.

Hollly

Breed shouldn’t necessarily be as important as the basic needs of the dog. Dogs should be walked twice a day or so, not a few times a week. I can’t advise a specific breed that would be good, but toy breeds are something I definately wouldn’t advise at all because of the young children.

Susan

I’ll throw my 2 cents worth in here….my opinion is the Beagle that loves kids or a Boxer…..my 6 yr old grandson has a Boxer and it loves him to death…my beagle has always loved kids….but to me Beagles and kids just go together….
    Also I agree go to the shelter or rescue group to get one so it can have a forever home with people who love it…Suebee

Bobbi Jo

Thank you very much Catlady 8] We definitley have the same views! I am also glad someone wrote more then me! haha

Sue

iLuv, you may want to re-consider suggesting cockers for children. That is the last breed that should be with small kids. Look at just about any of the rescue sites for them & you will see they do not adopt to families with young kids. Reputable breeders do not place in those homes either. The main reason – cockers ears, they are well known to have severe ear infections if not kept clean religiously. Small kids can bump or pull a sore ear & get bitten. Happens all the time. These are also extremely high maintence dogs, needing professional grooming every 6 weeks. That is quite a burden on a young family, both in time as well as financially.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.