WHY SO MUCH LICKING?!

Home Community Dog Behavior WHY SO MUCH LICKING?!

This topic contains 23 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Nicky 10 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Margie

MY MASTIFF MIX HAS THIS FUNNY OBSESSION WITH LICKING. SHE GETS SO INTO IT SOMETIMES I FIND HER PUTTING MY ENTIRE HAND IN HER MOUTH! ITS FUNNY BUT GROSS AT THE SAME TIME. WHY DOES SHE LICK SO AGGRESSIVELY?

Susan

Biting and chewing on feet means their is an allergy. It could be food or airborne.

Melissa

My dog licks ecessively as well, I heard before it’s a sign of boredom, but he licks the carpet and the bed covers, not so much me thank God. but like someone else said, he’s otherwise happy and healthy. Go figure!

Sue

Licking the feet usually indicates an allergy of some sort. Try setting up a litter box with witch hazel & water & get him to stand in it so you can wash his feet every time he comes in the house. Also make sure his food does not contain yeast.

Sue

Maybe. How much exercise is he getting? He should be getting at least 3 brisk half hour walks a day.

Susan

ebeeg: He may have a hotspot on that one foot. My dog gets them sometimes. She will scratch herself raw. Ask the vet for some getamiacin spray. I think it has an antibiotic and cortisone for the itch.

Jennifer

I’m sorry but I’m getting kind of annoyed at everyone giving medical advise to a young person without even seeing their animal. Maybe you should call your vet and have a check-up. Is she a puppy or an older dog? There are many things that can lead to aggressive chewing on a limb such as allergies and arthritis in a joint. Please see your vet if it is really a problem you are concerned about.

Melissa

Isn’t that the idea of a "FORUM"? This site isn’t called "free vet advice", it’s pet lover’s giving advice to to other pet lovers, if you are annoyed, then perhaps you hould jump onto another one of the 9 billion sited on the net and loosen up a bit.

jill

my dog chews at his nails sometimes and my vet said that he is trying to shorten them…when he is running alot on concete he stops, i guess ‘cos they’ve been filed down abit….he also favours one over the other…
    good luck
    jill

Jennifer

I didn’t think that this site was for free vet advice. I thought we were to share experiences and educate people to our ability. If you are not a vet, you are not legally allowed to give someone advice on what drugs to give their pet. I just think that some people overstep their bounds a little. This is actually my first time on this forum, I thought I could help people. I read one of the replies where someone actually told them which drugs to ask for at the vet. Are we diagnosing over the internet now?

Melissa

No, I don’t think we are diagnosing, but what is the harm for someone to share their experiences on what worked well for their dog?

Susan

Imarusl: Did you notice which forum you are on? "Dog Health" . People have problems, ask if anyone else has had it or heard of it. We reply with what they asked for. Sometimes, as in this case, the problem isn’t serious enough to see a vet. Something as simple as itching could be fleas, rashes, hotspots, allergies, etc… I advised gentomiacin because it is a topical spray, no harm done. Now we had another person write in symptoms and I told them it was "pancreatitus – take to vet!" I was correct. We are all experienced here in some way and can help someone reluctant to see a vet. Lots of times mine and other forum members first response is "SEE A VET". In this case there is no emergency. Sue

john

We got a female chiwahwa,2yrs old and a yr later got a male,1yr old. She’s fixed and he ain’t. She refused to be friends for about 6mos and then one nite she realized something was different about him. Fireworks went off !
    Now she treats him as her baby,boyfriend,pal,companion. He’s everything to her. He has never got fresh with her. He’s 2 1/2 yrs now. Never been fixed. We’re looking for someone who has a female and wants to brede her, He is a doll,she is too.
    He is Tinker she is Sissie.
    Sissie licks and cleans Tinker all over,,like a good momma.
    She shows us affection by licking our face or hands or a lick is a kiss. I have to stop her .
    Good luck with your licking dog but if it doesn’t bother anyone ,,so what. I’m new here,,HELLO ALL.

Sue

Hi Johnnie, welcome to PPP. Do you realize that by not being neutered your dog is at much greater risk of cancer? Do you know that once he breeds he is more than likely going to start lifting his leg on all your furniture? Also, no reputable breeder will breed to an unproven stud dog so you will be another byb breeding more byb dogs. Are you aware of the thousands of chihuahua’s there are in shelters & rescues waiting for a home? How many are killed each week because there is no home for them? Give this some serious thought & get your dog neutered.

Melanie

There is a special manifestation of anxiety in which dogs lick a front paw at the "wrist" or flank so that a skin irritation develops. Mine does it out of bordom and anxiety, usualy bordom. He licks his right paw until it is dark stained. This is not usually related to allergies or flea dermatitis. A dog may spend hours licking the area. To stop the behavior you can apply an anti lick ointment such as YUK or spray that green sour apple spray to your dog’s fur. In addition to the ointment, reward your dog any time he is NOT licking by stopping to pat him or offering him a toy. Ignore all licking behavior. If you play with your dog to distract him from licking he will learn to lick to get you to play. Only invite him to play when he is NOT licking. If your dog has caused a skin lesion, you should talk to your vet about some of the medications used to treat anxiety. Some licking habits have a neurological or inherited basis that responds to medication. My sister had a BIG lab puppy and he would want to slobber on their entire hand too. They tried to break him by holding his mouth for a few seconds and saying "Murphy No!" Oh well Murphy thought it was hilarious and now lives with the grandparents!!! Enjoy the love.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.