weakness in hind quarters

Home Community Dogs Health weakness in hind quarters

This topic contains 5 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Sue 11 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

D

1 1/2 male chocolate lab chased a deer in the woods. When he came back his hind quarters were very weak and unstable. With 10-15 minutes rest he got back his full function. He never seemed to be in pain. Since that adventure this weakness after running hard has happened two more times. Can anyone give me any clues? Is it a build-up of lactic acid or do you think there is a spinal or hip problems?

Sue

It is probably hip displaysia. I would start him on glucosimine, chondroiten, msm daily. Have your vet X-ray his hips so you know what you are dealing with. He is very young to be displastic but it does happen. I would certainly not permit him to do any running or you may not have him very long. Why are you allowing him to run free? More importantly to chase deer? In many states you could be arrested for that.

Carol

Letting companion animals run loose is letting them be vulnerable to:
    feral animals
    rabies
    smaller pets (cats) to hawks
    fisher cats
    coyotes
    fights which cause injury/death

Why is any companion animal running loose in the woods?

Mikki

It may be hunting dog hypoglycemia. Fairly common in labs. Do a google search and see if what you saw sounds like what they describe. If this is what it was, then giving him some high sugar food could help.

The other thing it could be is a type of collapsing syndrome that labs are prone to. It’s called EIC, excercise intolerance and collapse. Below is a link to an article describing that syndrome.

If your dog has either of these it should not be bred and you should inform the breeder of your dog, so that they use your dogs parents for breeding stock.

Mikki

Okay my link didn’t work. Let’s try this again.

http://www.thelabradorclub.com/library/eicstudy.html

Sue

Thanks for posting that info ddmom, I’d never heard of either one. See, we’re never too old! I have bookmarked them both for future reference. I sort of doubt it was the first tho, since everything I found says the collapse is accompanied by seizures. OP in re-reading your post, just wanted to mention dogs do not whine or cry when in pain but pant.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.