kitten going outside

Home Community Cats kitten going outside

This topic contains 25 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  nicola 10 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

wendy

my kitten is 14 weeks old now and loves to go outside with me.I stay with her so as she doesnt stray off into another garden, but im unsure when to let her go and explore.She is only a little thing and the cat next door is huge and very intimidating my kitten is scared of her and runs if she comes in the garden.I think the cat would also be inclined to attack her if she got the chance so im worried for her.How old is it best for her to take the plunge. I have a collar and name tag at the ready but dont know when its best to use it, i have been putting the litter tray outside but she will only go on it once it is back in the house.Hope someone can help with some general tips and advice.

mike

I suggest not letting her out at all until she is big enough to either get away and back to the house, and/or kick some butt out there 🙂

Just a suggestion though!

natalie

i wouldn’t let your cat out until its bigger and i would have the collar on all the time even when your kitten’s inside because something could scare it and it could take off. your kitten might attack the collar first but thats ok, it will get use to haveing it on. also when it attacts the collar use a toy to get its mind off it. my kittens 2months and it has a collar on all the time and only the first day it attact but as soon as i got his mind off it he never noticed it after.

wendy

thanks for the advice i will get collar asap. Will let you know what happens!

nicola

Just a quick note to add and thats to get her a safety collar so it wont strangle her if she gets it caught on anything when she is old enough to go out on her own

wendy

the collar i have for my kitten is a flea collar and as she has the ointment on i cannot use it for a couple of weeks so i will keep her in till then, but just wondering are the flea collars any good and can you attach a name tag onto them.Also she is due to be neutered at 5 months so would it be wiser to keep her in till then. thanks for the help.

nicola

I would definatly wait until she is neutered unless you want a litter of kittens to add to your cat?!?!?
    I prefer the gel to flea collars as I think they are a bit more effective but up until a few years ago I used flea collars and they worked just fine (as long as it is a breakaway collar incase she catches it on anything when you do let her out.) It may take her a while to get used to wearing a collar so I would suggest you put one on her as soon as its safe rather than waiting until the day you plan to let her out.

wendy

i put the collar on her with a name tag also and she was not happy! she is fine with it now so i will not let her out till she has been neutered.it does have a breakaway thing on it.thanks for help!

wendy

i may do but i feel that when people around here find a cat they just cannot be bothered to take it to a vet to see if it is chipped so she has a name and address and phone number on her collar but i wont rule it out completely i will look into cost. thanks for help!

wendy

just to let you know i have had izzy chipped now. she is going outside and i am trying to get her of litter tray but cus i am at work mornings it is hard we have no space for cat flap so she uses tray of night and when i am in i hide tray so she has gone outside where i have sprinkled some gravel on a patch of dirt for her but she has only urinated there and nothing else.

nicola

Glad she is chipped and on the move outside. Its hard to train her to go to the toilet outside if she doesnt have permanent access. Do you keep her in when you are out?

wendy

yes i am keeping the tray for that reason but while i am in she can go outside, i only work part time so when the weather is good i can let her out on the morning and when i come home she can come in for food etc, i dont think its fair to keep her in when it is warm weather while i am at work waht do you think.

wendy

will certainly think about it snd see how she goes i only work part time so she wouldnt have to stay in the house to long during the day so its worth considering. thanks.

nicola

I have a cat flap so my cats can come and go as they want when I’m at work. I have never known them to come back during the day unless it was really cold outside so think it would be ok to leave yours out when you were out for a half day, I dont think they are any more likely to get into trouble than when your home, if they start to seem skitish about going out or come back scratched then I would reconsider as it means there is a bully out there somewhere.

Cynthia

While many people let their cat outdoors, I think cats should stay in permanently only because there are SO many things that could harm your cat; and working as a veterinary technician I have seen it all! It’s not enough to just neuter your cat and add a flea collar. Did you know that 1 lick of antifreeze off the ground can kill your cat? It has a sweet taste that is appealing to pets. Consider viruses that other strays are carrying, like feline leukemia, FIV and FIP. Though vaccinating your cat is ideal, no vaccine is 100% and the virus can be transmissable through saliva, scratch or bite wound. There is no cure for these viruses. In addition cats can get hit by car or attacked by a dog, fleas, internal parasites. You name it. If kitty is going to be outside, the next best thing is microchipping, tagging, full vaccines, neutering and flea preventative (preferrably the spot-on like Frontline or Advantage). Hope this helps.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.