two new cats

Home Community Cats two new cats

This topic contains 4 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Kichwa 20 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

rica

hello ;D i’m adopting two cats this weekend, both adult neutered males. my problem is how to get them acquainted with their new home and most especially to each other. they have both been from good homes and used to being the only cats in their house. both are of good temperament but we know how cats can be in changed environments. there is also the case of the litterbox usage. i had had cats before but i had them young and taught them where to relieve themselves. where will be comfortable places for me to place their respective litterboxes that they will recognize? thanks for reading. hope u help me on this one 😉

Kichwa
    Participant

Hi Rica, First of all, thank you for adopting some cats and giving them a loving home. I really don’t think you will have too many problems, since you said the boys were from good homes and good temperament. However, I would take the same precautions with any cat new to an unfamilar home situation. I would most definitely keep them separated for the night and probably the next day or so and introduce them very slowly to each other. The thing is to go slow and not let anyone get hurt. You did not say if the cats were declawed or not. This is something you must be careful of too, when introducing them to each other. I would do the intros by using a cat crate/carrier with the wire front. Put one boy inside it and set it in a quiet room. Let the other boy sniff around the cage. They can smell and see each other and cannot hurt each other. Then, switch them out. There may be some spitting and hissing but that is very normal. Depending on how they get on, you will know when it is safe to put them both out together. The litter box issue. Most cats (I know mine all do) prefer one box to pee in and one to do the other in. I would get at least two litter boxes and a third one if you can. They are really not that expensive anymore. While your boys are adjusting to their new home, contain them (separately) in a bathroom or small area, especially at night, with their litter box and their food and water bowl. They will quickly catch on where you want them to do their business. After the initial training, you can move the boxes if you want to…to suit you better. They will find them, trust me. You did not ask about litter, but "Tidy Cat (non-clumping)" is good and so is the "Pine Litter" and "Best Cat Litter in the World. " Hope this helps. Let us know how your furbabies get on okay?

Kichwa
    Participant

Hi again Rica, Your kitty could just be taking a bit longer to adjust to his new home than the other kitty. Here are some things you might check into: Does he know where his food, water dish are? Does he know where his litter box is? Is his litter box clean? The non-eating for a bit will not hurt him; but you cannot let him get dehydrated. Cats dehydrate extremely fast and can get in real trouble. Be sure he is drinking some water or call your vet immediately and tell him this. Try offering him some baby food or broiled boneless chicken breast with a bit or cooked rice in it. This should get him to eat. Let me know.

rica

thanks for the help…but i still have this problem. they seem to get along well. they dont fight and they just smell each other and get along with their business. but the other one seems quite lonely. he hasnt eaten and relieved himself yet. he just looks out the window all day. :-

rica

;D thanks kichwa! my cat is doing fine already. my cousin took the more adjusted kitty and adopted him. so that left me with the lonely kitty. however, just last night, i tried playing with him with crumpled paper and he jumped out of his misery after that. he started roaming around the house. most importantly, he is eating and drinking and using his litter box quite properly. maybe he just missed his previous owner. now he seems very happy with his new home. thanks again!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.