Bonding w/new rescue?

Home Community Dogs Bonding w/new rescue?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Val 7 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Val

I have a rescue that was abandoned and was in her last foster home for about 3 weeks. I don’t know if she’s ever had a stable home. I’ve had her for about 2 days…I have a roommate and a boyfriend who spends time at the house a few times a week. I want to make sure that she and I bond so that she feels secure in knowing who her human is. I’m getting the impression that she isn’t quite sure that I am her "owner." Are there any boundaries I should set for my roommate and boyfriend while she and I take time to bond?
    The reason why I ask is my first dog and I bonded very well. He follows commands no mater who’s around. He’ll greet people and interact, but always wants to be at my side if I leave the room. If I tell him to stop an undesirable behavior he will and will come every time I call him. Not to mention there is an obvious affection between us.
    My new rescue follows commands such as come, stay, and off when It’s just me; but if my roommate’s around she ignores me when I call her. It’s only been 2 days, but I am concerned that she might bond with my roommate or boyfriend which might interfere with our bonding, obedience training, and long-term because roommates and boyfriends are not necessarily forever. I also don’t want her to feel like she’s losing someone if they move out.
    I do want her to bond with them, I just want it to be clear to her that I will be the stable person for her in her life who will take car of her and love her always.
    Thank you for any feedback <3

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.