Ferret breeding! Help!

Home Community Small Pets Ferret breeding! Help!

This topic contains 6 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Tessa 11 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Tessa

Strap yourself in, this is a long message! Haha sorry I want to provide as much information as possible.
    Hi! I just bought a 3 year old female ferret, to breed with my 2 year old male ferret. I have done my research, but some questions remain unanswered and I thought it was best to check ! Her vulva was swollen a tiny bit when I got her, and about a couple of days later it was a bit more swollen. I put the ferrets together and she didn’t seem too receptive to my males advances. For the next week, I let them play inside everyday together for an hour or so, and observed the male try and ‘mount her’ a lot and bite her neck, but she usually rolled on her back and bit him and he would stop. Then they would play normaly, lick eachother and sleep together. But now her vulva is shrinking! My question is, could she be pregnant? Or did she come out of heat (I read that wasn’t possible?) My male ferret never seemed to ‘mount’ her long enough for anything to happen, but now their just getting gentler with eachother. If she is pregnant, how do I look after her? Can I still pick her up and can she still play with my male when his being gentle? If I take her to the vets (which I certainly will), how far into pregnancy does a ferret have to be for kits to show up on an ultrasound. Here in Australia it is breeding season, and the Jill has had two litters before. Both ferrets are ‘whole’, not spayed or desexed. I had this set idea of how breeding would go, but the shrinking vulva, gentleness of the ferrets together just don’t fit that image! Thankyou for your help!

Lisa

At the risk of stating the obvious, if your hob didn’t penetrate your jill, then she is not pregnant.
    You have been watching them closely and don’t seem to think you witnessed sexual activity to a level where penetration occurred so unless you blinked and your hob is the fastest worker of all time, then I am going to say you are not expecting a litter.
    However, your jill needs to see a vet. Ferrets are induced ovulators, meaning that she won’t ovulate until she’s been penetrated and ejaculation occurs.
    If it doesn’t she will remain in that state. This has serious health consequences for her so she needs to get ‘jill jabbed’ meaning the vet will have a neutered male ejaculate inside her.
    She will essentially have a false pregnancy but will be ready to mate in 40-44 days.
    If somehow your hob managed to do the deed without your knowledge despite your vigilant observance and your jill is pregnant, then an ultrasound can be done in the final trimester, so about 2 weeks before her due date.
    If you even suspect that your jill is preggers you really should not be handling her and I would keep the hob away from her, just in case.
    Hobs do not participate in the raising of their young, typically impregnating and then disappearing, so there is no need for him to be hanging around the maternity ward anyway.
    Good luck, hope this all works out for you.

Tessa

Thankyou! Thankyou! Thankyou! I have posted in other places and everyone was so rude and didn’t give any information it was so stressful! I am going to take her to the vet, and if she’s not pregnant I’ll get her sterilized, her health always comes first.

Lisa

You are most welcome indeed.
    I hope this works out for the best for you.

Tessa

Sorry I do have one more question. I understand ferrets can die if they go on heat and are not mated, and that their vulvas swell when they are on heat (do I have that right?). When I got her, her vulva was kinda swollen and was swelling more each day, and then it just shrunk entirely. Could the swelling have been an infection, I didn’t notice any discharge or discomfort. And because it is breeding season here in Perth, would I need the ‘Jill jab’ even though her vulva isn’t swollen? Not many vets here specialize in ferrets (when my hob got an intestinal blockage they had to look up ferret anatomy on google!) but I have found one that does treat ferrets regularly. Still, I’m afraid they will do the wrong thing and potentially hurt her and the possible babies

Lisa

See the vet.
    It will be fine.
    Even if they do not specialize in ferrets they will certainly be able to do a proper assessment of this and determine if your jill went into heat or has an infection that caused her vulva to swell (which I personally consider a less likely scenario but one never knows, does one?).
    Your bigger problem could be finding a neutered male to jab her with but perhaps the place where you purchased your ferret(s) can offer up a suitable male for this purpose or at least direct you to an owner of such a male who would be willing to provide this service for you.
    Oh dear, I believe I’ve just pimped out a ferret!
    But I digress.
    Pregnancy and infection are standard fare in the vet’s line of work so even if your vet does not specialize in ferrets he or she should still be able to determine pregnant-not pregnant or infection-no infection and go from there.
    Hang in there and you will soon be on the right track I am sure.

Tessa

Thanks! I’ll take her to the vet as soon as possibl

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.