Is this improper housing for rabbit?

Home Community Small Pets Is this improper housing for rabbit?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Lisa 12 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Christiana

I’m currently fostering a 3 month old rabbit because of poor care from the previous owner. ei: belonged to a 10yr old who kept her in a 10gal tank with bugs.
    I’m considering keeping her instead of adopting her out but I’m very concerned if the cage and room she is in is adequate?
    I put together a 6ft x 4ft cage with a large wood piece for her flooring to keep her cool and to protect my carpet. She has lots of safe things for her to chew on, fresh water and fresh hay daily, alfalfa pellets, and I clean the cage often. My concern is my parrot who screams loudly very often. And I also have a large turtle tank in my room that causes my room to stay at a steady 80 degrees.
    I give her cold ceramic tiles to cool off as well as hard ice packs and a damp towel hanging on her cage with the fan blowing it. (She does not get a direct draft though).
    I’m unable to put her in a separate room from the turtle or bird and I can’t seem to make the temperate in my room any lower.
    Will this potentially cause a heat stroke for her? And is the screaming bird a problem?
    If so, I’m going to be taking her to a local rabbit rescue. Would she be better off going to a rescue instead?
    If keeping her, I will eventually be getting hard flooring, either ceramic or wood, as well as build her a condo. But it won’t be for another few months.

Lisa

Wow, it’s like you have your own private zoo there, which is pretty cool.
    The temperature is warm for a rabbit, which ideally should be in a room in the 61-72 degrees range, but I’m not sure that 80 degrees would cause heat stroke. You are doing a lot to keep her area cooler so that’s good.
    You have solid flooring for her feet, which is good. They can get sore hocks from walking on wire cages and sore hocks are notoriously difficult to treat.
    If the rabbit doesn’t seem bothered by the bird, well then she isn’t so she and the bird are probably fine together.
    Obviously all three of these animals need to be secured when they are unsupervised, particularly since they are all in the same room. You do not know what mischief they could get up to and you do not want to know.
    Frankly I think this rabbit had it worse in her previous situation so your set-up isn’t so bad. She has good food, safe toys and overall a better environment.
    I don’t think rabbits need to have enormous cages, so long as you keep it clean and take her out daily for some exercise and handling time.
    So if you want to keep this rabbit I’d say keep her, particularly since you are planning ‘home improvements’ for her in the rather near future.
    Good luck, hope you enjoy your little menagerie for many years.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.