Mini Lop Growth and Desexing

Home Community Rabbits Mini Lop Growth and Desexing

This topic contains 1 reply, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Lisa 11 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Boudicca

I read somewhere that a 5mth old buck was thin and his testicles had yet to descend due to poor nutrition… so I worry that my boy is too thin and can’t be desexed… his balls are pretty tiny to nonexistent.
    He is 15 weeks old now and I want to know when can Mini Lops be desexed? As well as how skinny is too skinny???
    Right now I worry because he is thin… He was the runt I suppose and was tiny when I got him even compared to his brothers and sisters (like 1/3-1/2 smaller).
    I have been looking into the breed specifics and feel that either he is laking in nutrition or he is just naturally too fine boned and well… boney. I can feel his spin and he feels fragile though he is strong and in every other way appears healthy. He has a supple but not bloated belly, bright eyes and nice fur (he really is all fur!).
    I have dewormed him and he does not have fleas.
    I feed him a generous handful of pellets+chaff (1:1) plus 2 Cups of fresh food… (Lettuce, Spinach, Cabbage, Broccoli, Cellery, Carrot, Bannana, Parsley, Basil, Roses) Plus Oats and Sultanas for treats…
    He always looks so desperately hungry… Should I find another pellet maybe?

Lisa

Most vets prefer to neuter a male rabbit at 6 months regardless of the breed.
    You mentioned that your rabbit was the runt, so it is not shocking that he is smaller.
    It sounds as though he is all right to me but if you are concerned that he isn’t getting enough nutrition or is underweight, take him to a vet for a ‘wellness visit’ and get his or her opinion on the matter.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.