Possible bad breeding situation?

Home Community Cat Breeding & Breeds Possible bad breeding situation?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Lisa 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Amanda

I have a Ragdoll kitten waiting for me with a breeder. He is now 9 weeks. The breeder lets her kittens go at 8 weeks but I asked her to hold him longer. I understand 12 weeks is the best time, but I was wondering if my case is different. I went to go pick my kitten and I walked into a breeders house that I didn’t expect. She had from what I can tell around 18 cats. The place wasn’t as clean as it could be either, it was also very cluttered. I didn’t notice any cat condos or anything to play on besides counters, couches and such. Should I still wait the full 12 weeks or will 10 weeks be ok? I have all the love and attention for this kitten and just want to make sure he gets the best. Thank You for your time, I’m really looking forward to your input.

Lisa

Eight weeks is too soon; 12 is ideal.
    This woman sounds more like a cat lady turning her hoarding problem into a profit.
    However, not having a house full of cat toys doesn’t necessarily make her bad. None of our cats ever had store bought toys or scratching posts or condos or whatnot and they were just fine.
    They were all just as happy batting a bottle cap or an empty spool of thread.
    And we’re not all Martha Stewart, either. If having a dirty house were grounds for an accusation of abuse, half the homes in America would be poised to lose their children, much less their pets.
    But I digress.
    Despite the fact that they are weaned at eight weeks, kittens should still be learning life lessons from their mothers (and ideally litter mates, if there are any remaining) in those next few weeks.
    This should also be an opportunity for the kitten to get some socialization with other cats, which shouldn’t be a problem in this house since there are so many other cats.
    The kitten should be getting human interaction as well, particularly from you, his future owner. Visit to spend some time with him.
    This will also let the breeder know that you are monitoring the situation so if there is something shady going on, she will think twice about involving your kitten.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.