ARE BING CHERRIES BAD FOR MY DOG?

Home Community Dog Food & Feeding ARE BING CHERRIES BAD FOR MY DOG?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Love 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

KELLY

HELLO – RECENTLY MY CORGI HAS DEVELOPED A TASTE FOR BING CHERRIES, THE PITS AND ALL. I CHECKED VARIOUS OTHER WEB SITES TO MAKE SURE THAT THIS FOOD WAS NOT HARMFUL TO MY DOG AND THERE WERE NO LISTING FOR BING CHERRIES BEING UNHEALTHY FOR DOGS. THE LAST COUPLE OF NIGHTS I HAVE NOTICED THAT HE SEEMS MORE LETHARGIC THEN NORMAL. THIS HAPPENS ABOUT 3 OR 4 HOURS AFTER HE HAS EATEN THE CHERRIES AND PITS. COULD THIS BE THE RESULT OF THE CHERRIES AND THE PITS OR COULD IT BE SOMETHING ELSE? HE REALLY SEEMS TO LOVE THEM AND I WOULD HATE TO STOP FEEDING THEM TO HIM, BUT IF THEY ARE HURTING HIM IN ANY WAY, OBVIOULSY I WILL STOP. I ALSO FEED THEM TO OUR OTHER CORGI AND SHE SEEMS TO TOLERATE THEM JUST FINE. THANK YOU FOR ANY ADVICE YOU CAN OFFER.
    SINCERELY,
    KELLY

steph

How many cherries are you feeding him? It is probably giving him a stomach ache. If you notice diarrhea stop feeding him the cherries. If he is still acting lethargic and has diarrhea I would go to the vet for a check up. You chould probably not feed him any more cherries right now until he is acting better. When/if you do start feeding them to him again I would only feed him a couple a day.

KELLY

HELLO – THANKS FOR YOUR ADVICE. i ACTUALLY DID WHAT YOU MENTIONED LAST NIGHT. I ONLY GAVE HIM A FEW CHERRIES AND HE ACTED A LOT BETTER, SO I’LL BET IS WAS GIVING HIM A TUMMY ACHE. I DID NOT NOTICE ANY CHANGE IN HIS BMS HOWEVER. IT’S FUNNY HOW THE CHERRIES EFFECT MY OTHER CORGI. SHE HAS NO SIDE EFFECTS. SO ANYWAY, THANKS AGAIN. I APPRECIATE YOUR REPLY AND ADVICE.
    SINCERELY,
    KELLY

steph

glad to help! Enjoy your corgi’s they are so cute!

Johannah

I would not give your dogs the pits. They are not digestible and can build up and cause a blockage, which would require surgery to remove.

KELLY

HELLO – THANK YOU FOR YOUR ADVICE. I ACTUALLY LOOKED THAT UP A FEW DAYS AGO AND SEVERAL SITES SAID TO NOT FEED DOGS PEACH OR PLUM PITS, BUT THEY DID NOT MENTION CHERRIES OR THE PITS. I THOUGHT IT WAS BECAUSE PEACH AND CHERRY PITS ARE A LOT BIGGER, BUT THIS MAKES A LOT OF SENSE TOO. I TRY TO FEED MY DOGS HEALTHY FOODS AND THAT IS WHY I THOUGHT CHERRIES WOULD BE OK, BUT NOW I WILL NOT DO IT (FEED THEM AND CHERRIES OR THE PITS). THEY LIKE ODD FOODS ANYWAY, LIKE PICKLES AND LETTUCE! THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR INSIGHT.
    SINCERELY,
    KELLY

KELLY

HELLO –
    OH, I KNOW. I LOVE MY CORGI’S TO DEATH. THEY ARE LIKE CHILDREN TO ME. BOTH OF THEM HAVE BLACK AND WHITE COATS, ALTHOUGH MY GIRL (INDY) HAS SOME GREY IN HER COAT TOO WITH A TOUCH OF TAN. ETHAN HAS WHAT THEY CALL AN AFGAN COAT. HIS FUR IS SO SOFT AND PRETTY. I WILL HAVE TO POST SOME PICTURES OF THEM SOON. WHAT KIND OF DOGS DO YOU HAVE?
    SINCERELY,
    KELLY

Johannah

Well, your Corgis are lucky dogs.
    I have a 4 year old Border Terrier, Dixie and an 11 year old Irish Setter, Cody. I was fostering Cody for Setter Rescue and then adopted him 3 years ago at age 81/2.
    He has lymphoma and is undergoing chemo. So far he is doing good and we are ever hopeful that he will beat this.
    They both eat home cooked food, supplemented with canned food. I would prefer to cook all their food but we live in the hurrican belt. So I want their digestive systems to be adjusted to the canned food, just in case we lose electricity.
    Please do post some pictures of your dogs.

Lisa

if he likes cherries that much u could always try cherry treats or somthin else thats good for the dog? my neighbor’s dog loves these Hip Bones
    they are made with cherry tarts and good for joints too ^^" lol and they smell realy good >.> LOL fruit uslay makes a dog get upset stomach and the pits probly don`t help the problem lab nextdoor gets sores in its stomach when it eats pulms off the ground from trees cause of the pits in em

Click on any picture to see full size:

Kathleen

Or, you could use some common sense and not feed your dog something he could choke on, like DOG FOOD.

Love

Cherry pits are poisonous to dogs… and so are the leaves. 🙁

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.