Sudden death of 6 week puppy

Home Community Pet Loss Support Sudden death of 6 week puppy

This topic contains 1,903 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Max 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 1,904 total)
  • Author

sheila

We brought our Siberian Husky puppy home saturday 11/8/08. she was 6 weeks old, and i had her picked out from the breeder since she was 1 week old. she was great the frist night home with us. she had diareha which the breeder said was caused by the vaccinations she had received the day before coming home. no blood in the stool and no vomiting. she did have a slight "hacking" at one moment in the 2days home but other then that she was great. pottied outside, ate, and drank fine! played really good! this morning 11/10/08 we woke up to take her outside and we discovered her curled up "sleeping" in the corner of her crate. she usually comes running to the door to be let out. instead she was still laying there. i knew something was wrong. i said her name and still laid there. i stared at her in disbelief that she was dead. until i realized she was NOT breathin and i grabbed her and she was stiff. i screamed for my boyfriend who then came running to find that i was sitting next to our dead 6 week old puppy who we had only had home for 2 days. she had no signs of illness, or anything. My first thought was "omg, she got too cold or too lonely or barked and barked but we didnt hear her from our room" …i didnt know what to do. we cried and cried and cried. until we finally pulled it together and called a nearby vet. we took her there to get an autopsy and what they found was iflamation of the lungs. but then couldnt further examine her so the tests were being sent outside our town. so we paid for all of it to get done in hopes of getting some answers. i was hopeing maybe someone could share some similar experiences to enlighten us. i feel like "we are horrible parents" to our new puppy.i loved her so much and now shes gone. not to mention she loved us, including my 1yr old daughter. ive researched and researched things to try to come to some conclusions, but i just dont know. the night we brought her home we did have our whoel family over to eat dinner and greet the puppy. could all he interaction from everyone made her sick kind of like a newborns immune system could the puppies immune system be weak enough to die from germs on all of their hands?? any feedback would be great. it would help mend my heart and understand that its not our fault but it just happens.
    i miss her so much

Click on any picture to see full size:

Cara

I am so sorry that is beyond terrible. But you are not bad parents!
    No one got your puppy sick. Your puppy had what it had before you got her. You had her for 2 days and a little diarrhea and 1 hack was not enough to alarm anyone. Even if you had gotten up in the middle of the night and noticed something was wrong and brought her to an emergency vet I doubt that they could have saved her. It happened way too quick. She may have been born with it. It used to be that puppies had to be at least 8 weeks before they were weaned and now it seems that breeders are just booting them out. I personally think that 6 weeks is too soon. I have met people who got puppies as soon as 4 weeks old. It is just wrong.

sheila

so do you recommend that when getting a puppy it be 8-10weeks. the pups werent with their mother any longer anways. the breeder had them seperated and on puppy food at the time we picked her up.

Cara

I personally wouldn’t get a puppy until it’s 8 weeks. But that’s just my opinion. I have met other pet owners that have lost puppies early on and it could be for any number of reasons health wise. I don’t want you to think that I think you were wrong for getting your puppy at 6 weeks. That’s not what I am saying at all. It’s just that where I grew up you could not adopt a puppy until it was at least 8 weeks old. That was all of the shelters. The breeders used to be the same way. It seems like everyone is just weaning too early for my taste. But like I said that is only my opinion and I although I take care of other peoples pets for a living and I have vet experience, I am not a vet.

Calla

Puppies that are weaned to quickly can have weak immune systems. Which can make them more likely to get sick.

Johannah

I agree. Florida law requires that puppies be vet checked and eight weeks old before they are sold. That is the absolute youngest a puppy should be separated from mom and litter mates. And another month would be even better. Puppies learn a lot of things from mom and the other puppies in the first three months of life. Also I would not buy a puppy unless the mom and puppies are kept in the house and exposed to normal household sights and sounds. They should also be very used to being held and handled by humans right from a few days old.

wendy

So Sorry to hear of you losing your baby!!
    And No you are not bad parents,its just one of those horrible things that can happen!!

Damon

The same thing just happened to us. We are totally in shock. We had the puppy for a week and a half and there were no problems at all. The puppy had all of it’s shots and everything seemded normal. He had been very playful all day today until 20 minutes before he died. We thought he was asleep, but when my boyfriend walked by him and he did not move, he knew something was wrong. He was still alive at this point but was totally non-responsive. He did shake just a little but his gums had already turned white and he was not breathing. He was completely gone a couple of minutes later. We were on the phone with the emergency vet who told us there was probably something genetically wrong with him. He showed no symptoms other than a little bit of diarrhea last night, but there was no vomiting or blood. He was a playful puppy, running around and chewing on everthing. This is a total shock to our family and we hope to get some answers. The breeders live in Illinois and say this has never happened to any of their puppies. If anyone has had this happened or has any answers for us please respond.
    DKT

Johannah

I don’t have any answers but I want to express my deepest sympathy for your loss. It is so hard to lose an elderly pet and even more devastating to lose a puppy with his whole life ahead of him. I am so sorry, I hope you are able to find some answers. But sometimes there are no answers and these things just happen for no apparent reason.

Crystal

Hello, I am so sorry to hear what happened to you. I can’t believe that you were able to take this puppy home at 6 weeks. I don’t blame you, I blame that breeder. I hope that you were able to get your money back on the puppy. If I were you I would get a new healthy puppy from a breeder that knows what they are doing. Any good breeder knows that a puppy that is only 6weeks old should never be away from its mother. I don’t want to sound rude, but why on earth were these puppies away from their mom anyway? This should have been a red flag to any one getting a puppy from them. I am not an expert on dogs and only know about the Bulldog breed, but it is kind of a rule of thumb for any breed. There is a flu type problem that attacks the resp. tract that has been going around. I am not sure if this is what that little guy had, but it could be a starting point. I lost my bulldog who was only 2 years old to this back in December. She ended up dying after her lung collapsed from this infection and they could do nothing to save her. However, it could be many different things because the puppy was so very young. Did a vet give this puppy a clean bill of health??? Again, I am so sorry for what you are going through. Many people want to bring these tiny babies home and just can’t wait, but they just don’t realize what they are getting themselves into. Take care and I hope that you are able to move on, find a good breeder, and have the dream puppy you have always wanted.

Jasmine

I am very sorry for your loss and completely understand that you are heartbroken and feel responsible, but there was nothing you could have done. Sounds like either she was born with it or the breeder did not take care of her very well at all.
    Six weeks is usually when they START the weening process (at least in the wild.) by eight to ten weeks is when they are old enough to be away from mommy.
    You were great parents to her. Please do not blame yourselves.

Kristy

I am so sorry for your loss…….. I had a very similar thing happen to my puppy last night. My puppy (Cooper) was 8 weeks old. He was an English/ American bulldog. I picked him out of the litter aprox 3 weeks ago, and brought him home 5 days ago. He was UTD on his shots/wormer, and a very active/playful puppy. I have another adult dog at home (Caine), which he got along w/ very well. Cooper would go in his cage, which was like 4x’s his size, when I wasn’t home and through some of the night. He was a typical puppy and cried for a while then quit and would sleep, once he realized he wasn’t getting out. I worked yesterday, and my mom came over to let Cooper and my Caine out. My mom said Cooper played in the yard, and they went for a walk. She said he was his normal playful self. When Cooper came inside he had some water and a little food, then back in his cage. She said he wined in there until she left (normal for him). 4 hours later I came home to find Cooper dead in his cage. He looked like he just layed down and died. There were no signs of distress, the newspaper under him was not messed up, he had no marks around his mouth or body, like he was chewing or scratching on gate door to get out. I did not have an autopsy, but I did have his body examined by a vet. They put a scope down his throat, and determined he did not choke on anything. It is unknown why Cooper died, he never showed any signs of illness. The vet did say Cooper was very large for his age. I am so sad that my little Cooper was deprived of a long, wonderful life I had planned for us. It seams so unfair:( It gives me a little closure to read your story, seeing Cooper is not the only one this has happedned to. I have added a picture taken of Cooper less than 24hrs before he died. Although Cooper is not physically here with me anymore, he will always have a very special place in my heart. Until we meet again…….. R.I.P Cooper

Click on any picture to see full size:

Athenna

This Just happened to us 2 hours ago…She was fine I got in the shower. And came back and she was asleep or so I thought. I take her out and shes dead. She did not have diarrhea or blood. She was happy and healthy Puppy Calm too

Scott

I really feel for you.
    Back in December my wife and I lost our 4 year old weimaraner way too early to liver cancer. We had no clue she was sick until the night before we had to put her down. We’ve spent the past 3 months grieving and preparing ourselves to bring a new dog into our lives. On March 20th, we brought our new 13 week old puppy that we named Sadie home. She immediately took to our 2 year old son and seemed to be adjusting really well. About half way through the week, she wasn’t eating as much and was peeing in the house right after we had her outside for an extended period of time. after 5 days of having her at home, we noticed she had become a bit more lethargic but we assumed it was because she was stressed being in a new environment, etc. Two days later we decided we were going to take her to the vet because we thought she had a urinary tract infection which was causing her to pee in the house like she was. Once the vet checked her out and conducted and x-ray and then an ultrasound, they informed us that there was something wrong inside her intestine and that would have to operate on her. When they went in they found the worst possible thing. A fungal infection had taken over her GI tract and her intestines and lymphnodes were extremely inlfamed. We were informed that treatment for this had never yielded long-term positive results. We had to let her go a week after bringing her home. It was the toughest thing seeing her on the table three months after going through the same thing with our first weim.
    I’ve spent the past couple of days beating myself up and trying to think of tihngs I could have done differently or better. But there was nothing we could do since she got the fungus before we brought her home and there were no real symptoms until it was too late.
    I hope you and your boyfriend have been able to move on. I’m sure my family and I will as well in time. It’s such a tough thing when you become so attached to that little thing.

Anne

I realize this is way after the fact, but hoping to share our experience and thus raise awareness that Parvo (the same virus that usually attacks the intestines) can infect the heart muscle of young pups causing them to die suddenly and without any symptoms.
    Our rescue recently experienced this tragedy, and had a necropsy and extensive testing done to discover the cause. Two of the surviving littermates have heart damage – one of those with a very poor prognosis. Your pup might have been one that survived the initial infection but not without heart damage that eventually took its toll. We have documented our pups’ story so that others can learn. We have included all lab work and cardiology reports. http://www.rosesrescue.net/info/display?PageID=15186

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 1,904 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.