Are Greenies Dangerous For My Dogs?
I heard that cnn had negative issues regarding the dog treat "greenies". Apparently, some dogs died from taking it. Please let me know the validity of this, since my dogs love "greenies". Thanks
"Greenies" are the best selling dog treat in the United States. You are right that CNN reported that some pet owners had suffered problems with them, with 13 dogs reportedly dying from having them lodged in the throat or intestine (where some vets claim they will not naturally break down).
Roetheli, who runs S&M NuTec from Kansas City, Missouri, says Greenies do break down when properly chewed and swallowed by a dog and when the instructions on the packaging are properly followed. The company says the number of complaints it has received is very low in relation to the vast numbers of treats sold, and many vets still recommend Greenies for healthy gums and teeth.
In consideration of the many millions of Greenies sold in the US every year, the actual risk is very small indeed. There are probably an unreported number of similar problems encountered from unbranded chews such as rawhide. And indeed, there is probably just as much risk from allowing your dog to carry a stick when out walking, or chewing a small-sized Nylabone.
I would not like to recommend a specific view on any specific products, but would like to reiterate that there is risk attached to any toy or chew, and that it is important to maintain your dog’s dental health using the best products available.
Small Lava Rock 20 Lbs.