5 Tips for a Safe and Happy Autumn with Your Pets


Fall is such a special time of the year! It’s time for colorful leaves, cooler weather, and football. Your dog will love long walks in the cool, crisp autumn air, and he’ll enjoy playing in the leaf piles, too. Cats will bask in the sunshine and get playful and frisky, thanks to the cooler temperatures. Autumn should be enjoyed to the fullest by the entire family, including your pets. With that in mind, here are our top five tips for a safe and happy autumn with your pets.

1.      Use Caution When Decorating

As Halloween and Thanksgiving approach, you will probably be putting out some festive decorations. Use caution when hanging decorations. Be sure they’re out of reach of your pets. Dogs and cats can be tempted to eat, or at least chew on, new things. Ingesting foreign objects can lead to dangerous obstructions, and it’s definitely not worth the risk.

2.      Keep Chocolate and Other Tempting Foods Out of Reach

With the holidays comes chocolate and other yummy treats that can be dangerous for your pets. Dogs are especially likely to overeat rich or dangerous foods that are toxic to them. Pancreatitis is a very common, and deadly, problem for pets this time of year. Chocolate, raisins, and grapes are toxic, high-fat foods can cause gastroenteritis, and things like bones are a choking and obstruction hazard. Talk to your vet to find out what foods are safe, and when in doubt, don’t take any chances. Give him a treat you know is safe instead.

3.      Be Aware of Antifreeze Poisoning

Antifreeze is a necessary evil for those in colder climates. Sadly, it can also be deadly for our pets. All it takes is 2-3 teaspoons of the stuff to kill a 10-pound dog! Worse yet, it has a sweet smell that is very tempting to pets. Be extremely cautious when winterizing your vehicles, and don’t let your pets wander over to the neighbors’ who might not be so careful.

4.      Watch Out for Wild Mushrooms

Fall can be very wet in some parts of the country, and that means lots of wild mushrooms. While most of them won’t hurt your pets, there are some that could be deadly if your pet ingests them. Learn which ones to look out for, and if you think your pet might have eaten a toxic mushroom, get him to the vet right away.

5.      Steer Clear of Rat Poison

Rats, mice, and other rodents are looking for a warm place to ride out the winter this time of year. While nobody wants a rodent infestation in their home, it’s best to steer clear of poisons for rodent control because they can be just as deadly to other animals as they are to the rodents. Since you don’t have any say in your neighbors’ pest control methods, it’s a good idea to get any dead rodents your pet finds away from him fast and watch him closely for a while. Rodents that have eaten poison are just as dangerous for your pet as the poison itself.

Autumn can be so much fun for your entire family! Following these safety tips will help to keep your pet safe and healthy throughout autumn and the holidays, as well.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *